PDA

View Full Version : Nail biting...

TheArtist
03-29-2009, 12:03 PM
Hi,

It's me again. This time it's about nail biting. I am an extreme nail biter and have been biting my nails for about 10 years now. My mother says that I started when I first used a computer. From then, I always bite my nails whenever I'm nervous. My nails now are really ugly and short, about 3-6 mm. I tried to stop for about a hundred times now. Some times I'd manage to stop for about a week, 2 weeks maximum, but then I'd start again while I'm watching TV or writing an exam, for example. I decided to go put some fake nails, but I have no idea what does It look like... Could somebody tell me (I value experience a lot!), how does it look like? Can I still play the piano with those nails on? Is there any risk of them getting of while I'm on the beach, for example? Do they look natural? They say the are thick, but exactly how thick? I have really strong teeth :S ... Is it expensive? Is there a minimum age?

chocolate29
03-29-2009, 03:51 PM
I've been a nail biter my whole life! I'd bite my nails right down to the quick, so far sometimes it would be painful.
There has been so many times that I've gotten so fed up with having such ugly nails.
I've recently just let them grow. I have them all nail polished now and just taking a look at how nice my hands are keeps me from biting them again.
Using fake nails is never a good idea. First of all, your real nail needs to be not so short so you can glue the nail on.
Secondly, fake nails makes your real nails very weak and brittle also they get to start falling off sometimes kind of easily, PLUS a lot of times it's easy to tell that someone is wearing fake nails.
It gets easier to stop biting as time goes by. When you get that urge just stop and realize what you're doing and keep your hand away from your mouth. Keep that picture of pretty nails and hands in your head and it should help.
I know this is probably sorta of long but, I've had almost 30 yrs of nail biting experience and now I have nails and I never want to lose them again! I can't go back!
I love my pretty nails!

tcp307
03-29-2009, 05:27 PM
Hi,

It's me again. This time it's about nail biting. I am an extreme nail biter and have been biting my nails for about 10 years now. My mother says that I started when I first used a computer. From then, I always bite my nails whenever I'm nervous. My nails now are really ugly and short, about 3-6 mm. I tried to stop for about a hundred times now. Some times I'd manage to stop for about a week, 2 weeks maximum, but then I'd start again while I'm watching TV or writing an exam, for example. I decided to go put some fake nails, but I have no idea what does It look like... Could somebody tell me (I value experience a lot!), how does it look like? Can I still play the piano with those nails on? Is there any risk of them getting of while I'm on the beach, for example? Do they look natural? They say the are thick, but exactly how thick? I have really strong teeth :S ... Is it expensive? Is there a minimum age?

First of all, me being a fellow nail biter (I'm 35), if you can figure out how to stop let me know. LOL. I'm not kidding either. I've been a nail biter since I was 7 yrs old (according to my mom). I can go awhile and grow out nails too. But always go back to biting. I also have a picking problem (picking and tweezing the skin around my nails or any hang nails I get from biting). Fake nails look great (go to a reputable salon), but as they start to grow out, then you have to have them filled. They aren't that thick, and I can type (my career is typing). You can do just about anything with fake nails once you get used to them (a few days). Only thing with it, is they damage the underlying nail (even more than biting). Your nail will be really fragile and thin underneath when you have the fake ones removed. If you go get them done, make sure you have a small amount of nail there for them to work with (like 2 weeks of no biting). I don't think there is a minimum age for getting nails on, and in my area I can get a whole set for around $25. It will vary with your location. Good luck :)

TheArtist
03-30-2009, 02:44 AM
I've been a nail biter my whole life! I'd bite my nails right down to the quick, so far sometimes it would be painful.
There has been so many times that I've gotten so fed up with having such ugly nails.
I've recently just let them grow. I have them all nail polished now and just taking a look at how nice my hands are keeps me from biting them again.
Using fake nails is never a good idea. First of all, your real nail needs to be not so short so you can glue the nail on.
Secondly, fake nails makes your real nails very weak and brittle also they get to start falling off sometimes kind of easily, PLUS a lot of times it's easy to tell that someone is wearing fake nails.
It gets easier to stop biting as time goes by. When you get that urge just stop and realize what you're doing and keep your hand away from your mouth. Keep that picture of pretty nails and hands in your head and it should help.
I know this is probably sorta of long but, I've had almost 30 yrs of nail biting experience and now I have nails and I never want to lose them again! I can't go back!
I love my pretty nails!
Actually I even tried that a few times... But I'd manage to stop for about 2 weeks, but my nails grow soo slow :( It's quite discouraging. I think I'll try once more... And thanks for telling me what happens if I put fake nails.... I prefer short than thin and fragile :S

melanie in mary
03-30-2009, 02:20 PM
I have the picking problem as well! Get a good cuticle oil, I use Sally Hansen with vitamin e. I just brush it on my nails 2 times a day and that helps alot! I bit my nails all my young life, and now that they I am middle age, even though I don't bite anymore my nail still have a ( I think), ugly look. I probably damaged my nail plate with all that biting!!lol. If you have a bad problem with biting try putting something bitter tasting on so when you go to bite you get a nasty taste in your mouth!

chocolate29
03-30-2009, 03:30 PM
Actually I even tried that a few times... But I'd manage to stop for about 2 weeks, but my nails grow soo slow :( It's quite discouraging. I think I'll try once more... And thanks for telling me what happens if I put fake nails.... I prefer short than thin and fragile :S

You know what might help them grow faster? It did for me. I bought some good name brand nail strengthener or "fast nail growth" clear nail polish. I applied it once a day and just doing that would help me to not bite them because I didn't want to wreck the nice finish that was on what little tiny bit of nail I had.
Anyway, I think you can quit if you really are determined. I know that if I can do it, anyone can! Lol, I have one nail that I haven't quite biting though. Maybe you could save yourself a nail for when you just have that really strong urge, but I'm still determined to let that last nail grow. ;)

Oh yes, and taking lecithin and or flax seed oil is REALLY REALLY good for hair and nails.

EllieFrog
03-30-2009, 04:52 PM
You need will power. Try whatever you can to make yourself stop. Any time you feel the need to do it or catch yourself doing it, do something else. Stop yourself... you can do it! haha
Also, I've heard of products that you put on your nails, kind of like polish, except it tastes terrible... so it makes you not want to bite your nails. I am personally not a nail biter so I don't know whether or not such products work, especially long term. Just think how much better your hands and nails will look once they grow out and look natural. Fake nails are not worth it, I agree with everyone else. Plus it can be very damaging to the nail, unhealthy, and expensive.

To make your nails grow healthier try taking Biotion (vitamin B7) supplements. They encourage healthy hair and nail growth, so it's something that you can try. It won't really make your nails wrong faster, but they will be healthier if you give them the chance to grow.

TheArtist
03-31-2009, 12:26 AM
Yea... will power... Now THAT'S something I should work on xD I'll try those oils... I hope they taste good :P