PDA

View Full Version : If "Wal-Mart purchased eye creams" don't work, what does?

EDC_Light
03-30-2009, 06:50 AM
I was told that the "eye wrinkle creams", that a person would purchase at common department stores [including those who sell foods and clothing under the same roof], don't really work. I was wanting the opinions of those who have actual success with any product that has shown to firm up the area around the eyes, reduce puffiness, and increase the overall skin tone of the face.

Thanks!!

EllieFrog
03-30-2009, 05:00 PM
Sorry to tell you but NONE of them really work. There is no such thing as a miracle cream that will tighten up your skin and keep it young. Moisturizing helps make it look younger, but as soon as you wash your face, the moisture is gone and you end up looking the same as you did before. Topical creams will not do anything... you will be throwing your money away. Also, most of those products have similar ingredients so it really doesn't matter how much you spend on it or where you buy it. It takes a cosmetic company between $1-4 to make a cream yet (especially for tiny little containers of eye cream) cost from $10 to hundreds of dollars. Not worth it.

If the eye area is dry, use a moisturizer and always use a sunscreen with at least SPF 15 and titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, or avobenzone as an active ingredient (that will protect you from UVA rays which are the cause of cancer and major skin damage).

I suggest that you read a book "The Beauty Bible: 2nd edition" to educate yourself further on such topics related to cosmetics. You will learn soooo much about those creams and the fact that many of them do more harm than good. You will also save so much money by not going out and buying those useless products.

P.S. If there was such a great cream that worked for all the problems that you mentioned, than there wouldn't be a need for cosmetic companies to constanly produce new products that target the same issue.

tUrRrRa
03-31-2009, 07:24 AM
You definitely don't have to spend a fortune on some fancy eye cream. I tried one that was about $100 once (a sample) and it worked nicely, but honestly, just a dab of a regular oil free lotion such as Curel worked just as good for me. You can use an oil free lotion just an areas you think you may need it. I certainly don't like to put it all over my face and only put it around my eye area. It's under $10 for a large bottle and then you can use it for body lotion too. You can put it in the fridge for a cool, refreshing eye lotion that can help shrink bags. You also might want to make sure to have a good pillow if you ever get bags under your eyes to make sure your head is elevated.

EDC_Light
03-31-2009, 07:36 AM
That's the thing I was wondering, . . .because you see their ads on TV about how they work wonders, . . . . using various actresses to promote them, such as Jennifer Garner, or Sarah Jessica Parker . . . .products that claim to "firm and lift skin around the eyes", . . . or one that reduces puffiness (and contains caffeine, which is supposed to help). Even on this site, if you mention this topic, an add will pop up claiming to help you reduce years of wrinkles for "less than $10", so one has to wonder that, if these don't really do anything, . . . how they can make such claims and not face "false advertisement charges"?

EllieFrog
04-01-2009, 08:12 PM
unfortunately they can make such claims because cosmetic companies do not have to prove their claims or the efficiency of their products since the FDA doesn't regulate their products; the only thing that is regulated by the FDA are ingredient lists of all products. So cosmetics companies can say whatever they want about their products and use whomever they want in their advertisements to lure in consumers. The FTC does regulate advertising claims to some extent, but usually only after consistent consumer complaints. If a product doesn't cause major problems and nobody complains, the companies will continue to profit.

Like I said, the book I mentioned previously explains it all. Also, it's important to know that "natural", "hypoallergenic", "fragrance-free", "noncomedogenic", "dermatologist or laboratory tested" and other such terms are meaningless in many cases because there is no substantiation for such claims.

EDC_Light
04-02-2009, 07:33 AM
Thanks for your input again. :)

catheryn
04-02-2009, 01:13 PM
Like the other ladies mentioned: get a good moisturizer. As well, spritz your face with some spring water or mineral water (evian has an actual facial spray, but you don't have to spend all kinds of money to get that, just get a bottle of water and a spray bottle) and let it sit then moisturize. I was told by one of the artists at MAC that moisturizer will only seal in what moisture's already in there, so if you spritz and moisturize it will lock the hydration in there.

I *have* heard that potatoes work to get redness out of your eyes though. You could probably find some natural remedies that will help with the puffiness and redness if you poke around the internet.

As far as moisturizers go I have extremely sensitive skin so the only thing I've found that works well is clinique's dramatically different moisturizing lotion and I've also been using their comfort cream to sooth my skin in the winter months. They're pricey, but work well, I find and is very gentle on sensitive skin.