PDA

View Full Version : "sweet" body smell

chocolate29
04-03-2009, 02:57 PM
I have a friend who, when it gets hot emits a potent "sweet'ish" smell. When it's not hot, but just cool weather his skin has a sweet odor to it. Does anyone know what this could be? Or know anyone who does this? It's almost similar to maple syrup or something. Sometimes it's very potent.

JohnR41
04-04-2009, 11:03 AM
chocolate29,

The only thing I can think of is "high blood sugar". Many years ago, before doctors had a lab test for high blood sugar, they would smell the urin to see if it smelled sweet. Some dedicated doctors would even give it the taste-test to see if it was sweet.:dizzy:

Could there be a connection here? I never heard of persperation smelling sweet because of high blood sugar but I suppose it's possible. It might be a good idea for him to get tested for "serum glucose".

chocolate29
04-04-2009, 02:21 PM
John,
Could it be that if he barely ever eats anything with sugar in it? He doesn't like sweets, ie: cake, cookies, ice cream, etc...but he does drink a large soda everyday.

janewhite1
04-04-2009, 03:02 PM
If your friend has diabetes and doesn't know it, he could certainly have high blood sugar. It might be worth pointing it out to him, politely.

Or, it could be nothing important.

chocolate29
04-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Thank you Jane,
I'll try to figure out how to tell him. He's very stubborn when it comes to being eating healthy.