PDA

View Full Version : Best Self Tanner ?

jill30
04-24-2009, 01:36 PM
What is the best self tanner?

tUrRrRa
04-25-2009, 03:53 PM
This answer depends on what you are looking for. Do you want more of a natural difference or something more dramatic? Many people like Jergens Natural Glow for a subtle difference. It doesn't give me as much color as I want (I'm naturally very fair and like to have a pretty dark tan) and yes, the color builds, but I have to shave often and then the color comes completely off on my legs! I do use Ocean Potion's gradual self tanner sometimes. It's similar to Jergens with the color, but it has a better scent to me. All self tanners have a little bit of a funny smell, but some are stronger than others. The Ocean Potion one is also very inexpensive. It's about $4 for a large bottle, much larger than Jergens or other brands. I can only seem to find it at Walmart.

For a little more color, so far Neutrogena Micromist is my favorite. I get the one that makes you 3 shades darker (they have a 2 shades one too). It's so easy to use and dries quickly. The color looks nice on me and the smell isn't too strong. The fact that it's so fast makes it my favorite. It also doesn't rub off on my clothes since the spray itself is colorless.

Just be sure to moisturize and exfoliate beforehand so you don't get streaky. Any self tanner will come out bad if it's not applied well. Another tip: only apply a light coating at first. You can always add more, but you don't want way too much or your tan will look fake. An orange tan is never good!

I may try some new tanners soon and will let you know if I find any other good ones. Is anyone else has any of the misting self tanners that you like, let us know because I'd gladly try some new ones! I am not a fan of the foaming kinds because the smell seems stronger. Also, the tinted ones will rub off on clothes, so if you use them, be sure to wear old clothes at first until you shower.

jill30
04-25-2009, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the advice. I went to Walmart this morning and bought Hawian Tropic self tanner. I let you know how it works.

missygt
04-26-2009, 02:03 PM
If anyone finds a good self tanner please share...I also am fair skinned and it always takes me at least 20 visits to a tanning salon just to get a decent tan....I really don't like being exposed to that much time in a tanning bed...but I don't know what else to do.

tUrRrRa
04-26-2009, 03:52 PM
I also get the best tan from the bad way at the tanning bed, so I'm always up for trying a new product that would be much safer. For a short period of time I'd go tanning about 5 times a week at the salon and got the darkness I wanted after a little over a month. I can't imagine all the damage I would have done if I kept going for years. Luckily I've had a sun damage scan and didn't have much damage at all.

I saw the Hawaiian Tropic one and wondered about it, so definitely let us know if you like it! Did you get the spray on kind or is it a lotion? If the smell isn't too bad, I will probably try it too since I'm out of regular self tanner and only have the gradual tanning stuff that doesn't get me as dark as I like.

jill30
04-26-2009, 04:06 PM
It's in a tube, kinda like a gel I think. I will let you know as soon asI use it.

EllieFrog
05-01-2009, 05:09 PM
They are all virtually the same... some will make you darker than others. They all contain similar ingredients and smell unpleasant. My favorite is L'Oreal Subline Glow.