PDA

View Full Version : Started treatment today

joewy
05-12-2009, 06:03 PM
Went to the doctor today. Just had a pretty simple rash on my leg. Never had one like it before. It did not itch or hurt, but grew from nickel size to fist size in about 10 days. I thought maybe a case ringworm or something, worth checking out.
I think my DO family Dr. is pretty sharp. The first thing we talked about was ticks. Had I had any lately or been around places that were infested? The answer was yes to both. We have a place at the lake in Warsaw Missouri We go to often. Have been going there already this year since early March. I started noticing this rash 10 or 12 days ago, just 2 days after I pulled 3 ticks off me after being in the woods mushroom hunting. The ticks I pulled off were on a different part of my body than the rash. He explained that a deer tick is very small and I may not have noticed it. I have read some things today that suggest having the rash on a different part of your body other than the spot the tick was on could be a bad thing? Don't really understand that. What I do know is that the rash I have is more than likely a reaction to Lyme bacteria.
Anyway, he put me on an antibiotic, Cefuroxime, 500mg, twice daily for 14 days.
I have been reading some about the duration of the antibiotic treatment as well and I am a bit concerned that taking them for only 14 days may not cure my problem. I have also read that taking longer treatments can be harmful. I just want to have the best chance possible of eliminating this bacteria in my body before it starts causing problems. Would like info on the best possible duration of treatment.

I am not so much concerned for myself as I am for my 4 children. 17, 16, 3 and 1. I have nightmares about not being able to take care of them. A crippling disease is not what I need in my life right now.
I understand that I am very lucky. For one that this was detected early and also that I got this rash to begin with, a rash that I believe only 60% of people get, and gives them the ability to detect this disease early and get rid of it before it causes problems. For that I thank God in Heaven.

I still have concerns and am not comfortable hearing that I have nothing to worry about. My understanding is that I am going to have to hang in suspense for 6 months before I can even be tested.
Any input would be greatly appreciated. I will be sure to give updates and will be very happy to help other people on and after my journey. Joe