PDA

View Full Version : Is Skin Cancer normally itchy?

manchak99
05-20-2009, 04:00 PM
i have a red spot on my forearm by my wrist and it was only noticed because it was itchy......i itched it so much that i made it bleed so it was a week of scab and now it's still itchy off and on and has a shiny center. nothing is raised and nothing is brown or dark. it's completely flat.
what could this be?
i do have a dermo appt but not till 6-5.
any of you that have had cancer-is this familiar? i hope not. i'm 35. my father had melanoma 17 years ago but is fine and it was caught early.

Chele60
05-21-2009, 09:23 AM
It's a good idea to have it checked. Skin cancer does not always itch - mine didn't. And from what I've been able to figure out, it seems melanoma becomes itchy in later stages. That is totally unscientific and unmedical, however!

You might have had a small bug bite that has been scratched into irritation. Or perhaps that area was irritated when something touched it that you might be allergic to. Who knows? It doesn't sound like cancer to me, but then I'm certainly no medical expert. If I were you, I'd relax and wait until your doctor's appointment.

Rockford2
05-28-2009, 06:02 PM
well, my melanoma itched and that was the ONLY reason I mentioned the 'funny looking mole' to my doctor as it was December and no skeeters outside so why did my mole itch? Get it checked out to be safe!