PDA

View Full Version : Reduce hair dry time?

tUrRrRa
05-22-2009, 06:45 AM
In the past I tried a shampoo and conditioner that was meant to help reduce drying time (by Paul Mitchell) only it did NOT work at all and I didn't really care for the products and returned them. Right now I'm using Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine shampoo & conditioner and I use a leave in serum to help make my hair silky (it's made by So Silk, similar to Biosilk but cheaper).

My hair is longer length (chest length) and pretty thick, so it takes forever to air dry! I hate to blow dry my hair because again, it takes a long time, and it makes my hair look thicker, which is the opposite of what I'm going for. I get my hair thinned out so it won't feel so heavy and it helps quite a bit. My last hairstylist used hair thinning scissors plus lots of layers.

Are there any products out that that actually DO help reduce drying time when air drying? I take evening showers, so in the morning my hair is still not dry and I can't style it for the day as I wish. Ideally, I'd like to be able to let my hair air dry and then flat iron it, as I do on the weekends. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! If not, looks like I'll be stuck with this going on unless I cut my hair. I will be keeping it long this year for my December wedding, but hope to keep it longer after that because longer hair looks best on my face shape.

PS, my apartment is kept a bit on the cooler side and I sleep on an organic bamboo pillowcase (all of my bedding is made of this). I use this material because it helps with allergies and it's softer than my previous cotton sheets.

EllieFrog
05-23-2009, 03:55 PM
I don't think that products are going to help hair dry faster. I just don't see how that's possible. I also have long, thick hair that takes forever to dry. I can't imagine letting it air dry because it would take all day, plus my hair tends to kink easily and I would have to have kinks in my hair all the time.

I always blow dry, and if I do it with just the regular attachment nozzle it still takes over half an hour... But I recently bought a dryer with a diffuser and my problem has been solved! I usually wash my hair, towel dry, and use a wide tooth comb to get all the kinks and knots out, apply a detangler and than use the diffuser. The kind that I have is a really big, round one. I run it through my hair till it's almost completely dry; it literally only takes about 10 minutes. And than I dry it completely with the regular nozzle attachment. That cuts drying time by about 15 minutes for me.

Charlierose
05-24-2009, 04:23 AM
I have the same problem.

chocolate29
05-24-2009, 01:51 PM
a convertible?
Ok for real....I'd say probably fresh air and sun would probably get it dried the quickest way.

melanie in mary
05-24-2009, 04:17 PM
A simple method would be to use a fan on medium and let get out alot of moisture that way. I try to squeeze alot of water out and try not to coat my hair down with really thick produscts. This is hard to do when your hair is dry and naturally curly!!

tUrRrRa
05-27-2009, 04:41 PM
Thanks for the replies! I guess there is no simple way (unless I had the convertible- LOL)! Those products were supposed to help reduce dry time in some way but it definitely did NOT work! It also made my hair feel weird like there was a coating over it. I don't recommend them!

Unfortunately either a) my hair does not blow dry well or b) I just stink at it. For one, my blonde in my hair lightens when I blow dry it (or appears to be lighter) and then my roots stand out too much and look bad. Then it gets frizzy and looks way too voluminous/thick. I have quite a bit of hair even after getting it thinned out like crazy, so I have to let it air dry to be flatter. It stays sleek when it air dries and then I flat iron it. Once I tried letting it air dry as much as possible all night, then blow dried the remaining water out of it in the morning, and that worked out okay. Didn't take too long either! Maybe I need to wake up a little earlier and try that out.

I just struggle to wake up in the mornings already (I'm a night owl) on work days and don't want to have to wake up at 5am or anything. Luckily my natural waves look good with my highlights for a pretty, kind of beachy look. When I don't do highlights, my waves look awful and just sloppy.