PDA

View Full Version : A concern

cindilou0962
06-02-2009, 04:35 AM
Hello. Thanks in advance for any help given.

Im a 40 year old pale redhead, numerous burns in childhood, blistering burns!

I had one huge flesh colored mole on the back of my elbow removed(considered my birthmark) when I was about 20...benign.

I have many freckles, but no moles that I know of.

Last year, One day, out of the blue, a black spot appeared on my left thigh...I thought, this is not right...So, of course I got nervous...the black color scared me the most.

I went to the doctor who stated it was a blackhead..and Im like, on my thigh?

Honestly, never had a blackhead in my life, not one protruding out of my skin like that.

Over the year, it would peel off, and scab over. Within the last few weeks, has gotten bigger and blacker. I called a dermo doctor, not scheduling til July. So, I go back to the doctor who said it was a blackhead, and he said he would excise it totally, take some area around it, and have it biopsied.

So, of course Im nervous. My only concern is that Im not moley, one day this black growth appeared and got bigger as time went on.

He didnt state it was a Seborrheic keratosis or any other growth. He thinks it's benign, but then again, last year he stated it was a blackhead!

Any personal experiences to share if someone went through something similar?

This doctor felt that because it didnt look like melanoma or skin cancer, it probably wasnt,and he's probably right, however, some moles are melanoma, and they look normal right?

Thanks!

Chele60
06-02-2009, 08:18 AM
I know people usually speak of individuals having a lot of moles to be subject to melanoma, but that is not entirely the case. Melanoma can develop from an existing mole, so the more moles a person has, the better their odds are of developing melanoma. But other factors are far more important: fair skin and exposure to the sun's rays are far more important. I, too, have reddish hair, fair skin, blue eyes, and have suffered multiple sunburns in my teens/20s. I was a prime candidate for melanoma, and I did have one, unfortunately. That DOESN'T mean you do! But you do need to have this checked out.

With melanoma becoming one of the most common cancers today, and due to it's aggressive nature, I get so irritated with doctors who cannot be bothered with taking a simple skin biopsy. I'm sorry to vent, but this is becoming a pet peeve of mine. Okay, deep breath....

While melanoma is on the rise, it is still one of the most rare of skin cancers. Chances are what you have might not be anything at all, and may be perfectly benign. It is best to have it removed and biopsied just to be sure.

Personally, I have quite a few moles, as well as quite a few freckles. Since my melanoma, I have been having lots of new moles popping up - tiny and regular, but at 49 years of age, this is not really normal. My melanoma did not evolve from an existing mole. It started as a freckle on my left knee, and I'm not even sure what drew my attention to it at first. But it grew into a "mole" very quickly, within a month. It didn't fit any of the "A, B, C, D, E's" of melanoma - it was perfectly round, crisp borders, about the same color as any other mole, less than 1/4", but it did grow quickly. Except for the fact that it "popped" up, I probably wouldn't have thought anything of it. Luckily, when I had my phyisical 2 months after I noticed it, my doctor agreed to remove it. We both didn't think any more of it. We were both shocked when it came back as melanoma.

I was lucky. I was very lucky. My melanoma only had a max of 4 months to grow. Even with that, it was .77 milimeters thick (at 1 milimeters, a sentinal node biopsy it performed) so it was growing really fast.

Now, that's my story. I don't want to frighten you! You don't state that the growth on your thigh was bleeding or itching, which is a good sign for the length of time it was there. Do get a copy of the pathology report, however, even if it comes back clean, and hold onto it. And I would make an appointment with a dermatologist anyway. Begin fair-skinned and having had numerous sunburns and now this, you might want to have regular, annual skin checks done to put your mind at ease.

Good luck, and let us know how this plays out for you!

cindilou0962
06-02-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks so much for your reply...sounds like I need to be as vigilant as you.

I do know about the ABCD of checking for problem moles, I mean its been ingrained in me forever. So, of course when doctors strictly go by this,
they are not open minded to the possiblity that maybe a perfectly rounded
black mole that just appears and enlarges...may be a concern.

He was very proactive yesterday....He took the whole neoplasm out, which i dont know is a good idea, biopsy wise(have no clue), but Id rather have a scar then something worse.

The site where the mole was, was not itchy, the black part would fall off, but not bleed, at least not that I know of, cause I wouldnt know wearing pants...you understand.

I just know i have hundreds of brown freckles on my arms and back, a few on my face, no moles and this black mass shows up! My mole or whatever it turns out to be, was 2-3mm wide, perfect circle, protruding heavily out of skin, and pitch black. it was attached to the skin, and around the area where the mole met the skin, it was blue.

I am contacting a dermotologist just to establish a relationship and most of all to take care of my body. I'm my biggest advocate!

I hope to god it's benign and will let you know.

Thanks again for your story and for replying, I really appreciate it!

As a side note, I just looked up some info on cherry angiomas, and once in while due to very technical factors I cant explain, a cherry angioma can turn black and this article stated that it closely mimicked a melanoma...guess it's hard to distinguish until its under a microscope..so it's probably just a benign lesion.

Oleander53
06-03-2009, 06:06 AM
Cindilou,

Go with your gut. If you feel something is wrong push to have it off. I know all too well about pointing something out to a Doctor and them waving you off that all is well to later find out it is indeed a carcinoma.

Hopefully you are fine.....best to get it off. Let's face it any spot that is black on our skin is usually not normal. My father's melanoma's were all lavender or gray and none were existing moles..my brother's was an existing childhood mole.

Squamous cell and basal cell are less likely to spread but they can.....so you need to be diligent on any possible skin cancer.

It is also important to have your dentist look around in your mouth once a year because you can get a skin cancer inside your mouth. Also your gynecologist to look around when you get your yearly. I have genital skin cancer Non HPV type......a squamous cell carcinoma appeared!!! I had no idea to look "down there". It is on the rise and more common than you think.

So do not be afraid to be pushy and have something checked out. Let us know what happens...good luck to you...... I go on the 15th to have more of this basal cell on my arm taken out.....I pointed this one out for 1 1/2 years to the Doctors......."Oh it is fine, nothing, just a red mark". YEAH RIGHT.

Oleander

cindilou0962
06-03-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks Oleander! I appreciate your reply..sounds like it took while for the doctors to LISTEN to you..that makes me angry!

The doctor already took out the growth and the area surrounding it..he did it on monday. He it was more than likely benign and he coded it as such(I memorized what her wrote and looked it up on then net....benign neoplasm.)

I know black is usually not normal and I had two professionals look at this thing last year...both said nothing to worry about and it's a blackhead! Ughh..

I know from research that some cherry angiomas can turn black, so thats what Im hoping for, or its just a deep dark mole.

Best wishes on your journey...you have great strength and clarity! I could learn alot from you, as I am such a people pleaser and dont want to question anyone, but I need to now as this is my life!

Did any of the doctors who ignored your concerns apologize to you for not taking you seriously? What was the reaction when the moles did come back cancerous?

Take care!