PDA

View Full Version : basal cell on lower eye lid

gardenandcats
06-05-2009, 08:42 AM
Just wondering if anyone has had basel cell on the lower eye lid. Just found out I have it on lower eye lid.I have my 1st appointment with eye surgeon on the 18th and scared to death..

rudiraven
06-05-2009, 12:55 PM
I had basal/squamous cell cancer on my right lower eyelid near the tear duct. It was a small horned looking growth. I went to my dermatologist and she removed it and cauterized. I also went to an eye surgeon and have continued to go annually for the last 7 years. No more cancer has been found so far (knock wood :) ) Try not to be too scared. I'm sure everything will be fine. Let me know what happens at your appointment.

gardenandcats
06-07-2009, 07:01 AM
This is right on the lower eye lid rim two bumps ..I'm so afraid that it will involve having to rebuild part of the lower lid..I will let you know after my appointment.

colby88
06-15-2009, 02:54 PM
Interesting to see your post. My Mom was recently diagnosed with a basal cell on her lower eye lid after an ophthamologist thought the small bump was suspicous and ordered a biopsy of it. She is scheduled to undergo Moh's surgery tomorrow and then will have plastic surgery the next day to repair the damage to her eye.

She is so angry (and I am too) because she had gone to 3 dermatologists and one other eye Dr. this past year and they all said that it wasn't anything but possible just a stye. When it didn't get better my Mom pursued another Dr. for an opinion and she finally was diagnosed with a basal cell just last week.

The HMO my Mom is a member of should have given her better care and gone out of their way for a proper diagnosis since 10 yrs. ago she was misdiagnosed with a basal cell on the corner of her nostril. Unfortunately, that misdiagnosis cost her the extraction of her right nostril which had to be rebuilt with the cartilage from the tips of her ears. It was awful to watch what she had to go through and now she's possibly facing the same situation all over again.

I am so upset with the Dr.'s that she saw about her eye that I've advised her to file a lawsuit against her HMO. There is no excuse for being misdiagnosed. It's complete ignorance on the part of the Dr.'s who examined her especially when she already had a history of a basal cell on her nostril.

I feel so badly for her that she has to go through this again and I just pray to God that it's not as bad as it was before with her nose.

I hope your surgery goes well too. Will you be having Moh's surgery? It's a type of surgery where the surgeon keeps taking tissue from the cancerous area until all the cancer cells are removed. It can be quite disfiguring but plastic surgeons can do wonders these days.

Good luck to you.

writeleft
06-15-2009, 03:08 PM
I would like to point out that many people have excellent tolerance for the procedure, and a quick recovery, with no long term consequences.

I would look towards the procedure as a solution to a potential problem...rather than a problem itself. We are lucky to live in the times we do, with so much screening and technology, to avoid many potential health issues.

I would focus on the positive, it will serve you the best in the long run.
Best of luck to you...

gardenandcats
06-20-2009, 08:07 PM
My Primary care doctor has seen the basel cell and also didn't think much of it. She did say if it doesn't go away it would be a good idea to have my eye doc take a look.Did that and she sent me to a Plastic surgeon eye doc. who specilizes in this. I am going in the OR this Monday and having MOHS.He did not even have to do a biopsy he knew what it is. I saw him this Thursday and he got me in this coming Monday. Hopefully I won't need any skin grafts. But if i do it will all be done this Monday. I also just had basel cell MOHS removed 10 weeks ago above my upper lip ..They removed it all and you would of thought the plastic surgeon who did that would of noticed this as its on the same side of my face. I'll let you know how it goes.

rudiraven
06-25-2009, 07:35 AM
GardenCats,

Been thinking about you. How did it go?