PDA

View Full Version : I wonder

allsherote
06-17-2009, 10:00 AM
I have been supposedly diagnosed with either GERD or LPR. I did some research yesterday and ran across some very interesting info regarding LOW stomach acid causing the same symptoms as GERD. A little over one year ago I was diagnosed with high BP and TOTALLY changed my diet. I used to eat a lot of stuff acidic like tons of chocolate. It was nothing for me to down 2-3 boxes of king size mild duds a week and eat candy bars at work too. I drank tons of diet Mt. Dew, ate lots of italian food. My diet has gone from very acidic to virtually non acidic and pretty bland. I lost a lot of weight too because of all the candy I ate especially the chocolate. I also chewed a lot of mint gum and at a lot of mint chocolate candy. Has anyone researched this or talked to their doc about it. It said that a lot of people dx'd with gerd actually have low acid. The PPIs I tried over the past few weeks have made me worse and very sick so I am wondering if low acid isn't my problem. Any thoughts?

Kassie29
06-17-2009, 01:08 PM
One of the ways to test this is the 24hr Ph monitoring test. It will test the amound of acid coming up into your esophagus. I had this test done twice. The first time came back "normal", but I knew I continued to have symptoms so I asked to have it done again, and the second test came back "abnormal" (more acid coming up than the average person). I would assume if you have too little stomach acid, your levels on this test would be low.
Kassie