PDA

View Full Version : roots or foils?

pole dancer
06-23-2009, 12:48 PM
is it cheaper to have my roots done or more foils again? i've went really light blonde from really dark brown and my roots are very noticeable.

tUrRrRa
06-26-2009, 05:49 PM
At most salons, foil highlights cost more than full color. So, getting the roots dyed will likely cost lost. If you got your dark hair dyed completely blonde, dying the roots would look best anyway. Foils would give you a more highlighted look since they won't wrap all parts in foil.

I have medium brown hair but I get light blonde highlights. My hair is kind of a golden color but has the streaks. For this kind of look, they just use foils as it grows out and they are able to do ONLY the roots so it doesn't further damage the ends of my hair. It's also good because the ends will stay the color I want them rather than keep getting lighter each time.

EllieFrog
06-28-2009, 09:41 PM
Foils will cost you more. I used to get foils done because I wanted to go blonde and the girl that used to do my hair said that she couldn't do an all over bleaching process (since I already lightened my hair a little bit). So she did a full set of highlights once, which lightented my hair but definitely not nearly enough so I went in a second time and did it again. That was much better and I was satisfied (for a while).
One set of highlights cost me about $110-120. The next couple of times I went in just to get my roots touched up it cost about $100 per visit. Than finally I decided to ditch the highlighted look and decided to go blonde all over... when I got my roots touched up that final time it cost about $65 (the same amount it would cost for an all over color). So if you want to go all blonde and save some money you should just do the root touchup without foils.

But I have to advise you to make sure that you know the person who's doing your hair is VERY experienced and educated about hair coloring. You don't want to go what I went through, trust me. When I decided to touch up my roots, the girl had no idea what she was doing. She was supposed to bleach my roots and the dark low-lights that remained in my hair (there weren't too many since I did full highlights twice). She turned everything orange and messed up my hair completely. She ended up bleaching my roots twice to turn them the correct shade of blonde, but she forgot about the low-lights, so she left those orange. After that horrible experience I learned to do my own hair.

Thankfully I've cut my hair a few times since that experience so most of those orange pieces that were left in my hair have been cut off. There are still some left but I have to wait till my hair grows out long enough so that I can cut them off.
So just be careful and choose wisely.

tUrRrRa
06-29-2009, 02:17 PM
I also very much agree to ONLY go to a very experienced colorist who knows how to use bleach. I've heard many bad stories about bleach gone wrong. I even know people who have had bad foil highlights that turned the wrong color.

Lately I've been going to Toni & Guy and have been happy with the colors they use. I've never had a terrible experience, but I had one lady in the past that seemed to get my roots lighter than the ends of my hair, even though it was only done in one highlight process, so I have no idea what she did.

I like to ask around and find someone who is very happy with their salon. Most places I've tried are by referral. Unfortunately some of my favorite hairstylists end up moving away and then it's back to finding a new one. I'd love to be able to do my own hair and sometimes I do cut it myself. I like to do all-over color when I go darker, but I don't think I'd do a good job with highlights.