PDA

View Full Version : Healthy?

jansmokeyty
06-30-2009, 07:24 PM
My DH and I are wanting to start ttc at the end of the year and I want to try and make myself healthier. For the past year or so I have been very sedentary and lazy. I am on my 4th week now of going to the gym 3 times a week, I am eating ok, but I still don't feel like I am getting healthy. Am I on the right track? i feel so paranoid that i am going to die if I don't start treating myself better. I am only 24, but i want to start getting into at least better shape then what I was being sedentary. Any advice would be helpful.

JohnR41
07-06-2009, 11:04 AM
jansmokeyty,

I think you're on the right track because you're at least doing something positive. You're going to the gym! I tend to think that's a good thing as long as you don't overdo it. It's been my experience that some people overdo it and then they stop completely. So try to keep it to a level where it makes you feel energized rather than excessively fatigued. When you first start exercising, it takes some time to adjust to it.

The other important thing is that you need to eat a good diet. Try to eat mostly whole foods that are generally low in calories but high in nutrients and fiber. In other words, all kinds of leafy greens and a wide variety of different colored vegetables. Three servings of fruit per day should do it. Include good fats like extra virgin olive oil, canola-oil and nuts. Make sure you get enough lean protein but don't overdo it. If you're going to build muscles, you need to have adequate protein in your diet. And be sure to drink enough water, especially before and during work-outs.

Then get some good sound sleep. Don't underestimate the value of a good nights sleep.