PDA

View Full Version : omeprazole to nexium

sparkyireland
07-03-2009, 03:18 AM
Hello there :)

Has anyone switched from Omeprazole to Nexium?

To cut a long story short I have bad acid reflux and feel terrible everyday. Omeprazole worked as far as reflux pain, but it was causing anxiety, heavy heart beat and a sudden burst of depression when I stopped it for a few days (Is that normal??)

Anyway I have now been changed to Nexium although I havent taken any yet. Has anyone made the switch or anyone on the Nexium, just please tell me it is wonderfull :D

Madalot
07-03-2009, 07:45 AM
I took Nexium for years and found it very helpful. It was the best medication that I took for my acid reflux.

Because of Nexium being a "premium" medication, my copays on it were outrageous and I actually went the other way -- from Nexium to Omeprazole! Because Omeprazole isn't quite as good for me, I supplement that with an OTC acid reducer (with my doctor's knowledge and permission).

But if not for the high copays, I would have stayed on the Nexium!

Hope this helps.

Kassie29
07-03-2009, 11:48 AM
I was on Prilosec, aka Omeprazole, when I first starting experiencing acid reflux problems and it did nothing to help my symptoms. It was like I wasn't taking any medication at all. I was switched to Nexium, which both my GI doc and ENT doc, said was the "premium PPI". And I must admit, it was a positive change for me. It has helped control my symptoms for a year and a half now. I don't have any side effects on it. I had a few side effects the first couple of weeks, but they passed quickly. Give it a bit of time when you do start taking it.
Kassie

knightrider2009
07-07-2009, 10:34 PM
Nexium is esomeprazole. It is the stereoisomer of omeprazole. It isn't really a "new" drug per se. I read an article where a doctor said that it was a rip off and just another way for the drug company that makes it to get a new patent. Also he said that the dosage of esomeprazole was higher, so it appeared to be more effective than omeprazole. It's basically just a higher dose of omeprazole in terms of effectiveness.

TigerGalLE
07-10-2009, 11:58 AM
I switched to Nexium from Prilosec after my insurance agreed to pay for it. My Doctor had to call my insurance company and have it approved. I have had very good results. I still have bad days. But my bad days now are not nearly as bad as even a normal day used to be. I take nexium twice a day though. Once a day wasn't enough for me.