PDA

View Full Version : I had a melanoma removed from my face about 1 1/2 years ago.

shirley0624
07-26-2009, 08:43 PM
I had a melanoma removed from my face about 1 1/2 years ago. I had extensive plastic surgery done. Before surgery, they did a baseline chest x-ray, and I always wondered why. For the last three weeks, I have been having pressure/pain in my right lung whenever I take a deep breath, and I am not sick. My thoughts immediately turned to wondering about the chest x-rays again. I just read the blog above from lewarkmd about the mass in the lung. I am wondering if it is common for melanoma to spread to the lungs?

Chele60
07-27-2009, 08:42 AM
Hi Shirley!

Common areas for melanoma to metastasize to are lungs, liver, and brain. Melanoma sometimes alost metastasizes to the bones, though that doesn't appear to be all that common.

Please - don't begin to panic! A lot of people I've spoke to who actually did have melanoma metastisize to the lungs actually had no symptoms.

My question to you would be: have you been seeing a dermatologist on a regular basis? Typically, if you have a melanoma removed, there are periodic follow-up appointments to be kept with a dermatologist. Something like every 3 or 6 months. I wouldn't ignore this, but bring it up to your dermatologist or general physician. They will probably want to do another chest x-ray just to take a look and see what might be going on.

Again, I wouldn't panic. You might not be feeling ill, but there might be other factors that could come into play: age, allergies, weather are just a few. Having had melanoma would be cause to have this checked out.

Let us know what happens, k?