PDA

View Full Version : Sunscreen Reactions

EllieFrog
08-09-2009, 12:12 PM
This may be a strange question but I'm just wondering if anyone else experiences this.
I wear sunscreen on my face on a regular basis. I used to use 30 SPF, but now I started using 50SPF during the summer. I always feel a slight warmth after putting it on my face, but now that I've switched to higher SPF my face literally burns/stings for a few minutes after I put on the sunscreen. It's nothing major and I can handle the discomfort, but I am wondering if this is supposed to happen? Is it normal to experience stinging after applying sunscreen on the face?

By the way, I'm not allergic to it per se as I don't experience any rashes and whatnot.

P.S. I also use a 2% BHA on my skin almost on a daily basis a couple of minutes prior to applying sunscreen. I know this makes some impact but probably not too much.

MissS2
08-09-2009, 06:33 PM
Is the SPF you use necessarily meant to be put on your face? I know this is a sort of silly question, but there are sunscreens that are meant for your body and others for your face. The skin on your face is actually very different than the skin on the rest of your body- and tends to be much more sensitive.

I definitley do not think the irritation is normal... I would consider a suncreen meant for your face, or go to a department store for a specific sort of moisturizer with SPF, or serum with SPF. I personally use a light foundation with SPF built into it.

EllieFrog
08-10-2009, 03:53 PM
Yes, the sunscreen that I used was Banana Boat Faces... now I use Coppertone. This new one is not necessarily labeled for the face but it is safe to use on all body parts.

I do not use moisturizers/serums on my face as I do not need them; I have normal skin with large pores and moisturizers do not do me any favors - they tend to make matters worse by clogging pores and whatnot.

I use a foundation with SPF as well but even that stings slightly when I apply it to my face because it contains a sunscreen. The SPF in my foundation is only 15 which isn't high enough for the summer, it doesn't last and I don't want to have to reapply my foundation every couple of hours just to maintain the sunscreen... that's why I use both.

I am just wondering if the warmth/stinging is normal since it happens with every type of sunscreen that I've ever used regardless of brand or type. Also, I always check to make sure that the products are not expired so that can't be the issue.

I don't know... I guess I'd rather experience the slight stinging for a few minutes after application than not wear sunscreen at all. I freckle very easily, especially on my the sides of my face and I don't find it attractive, so not wearing a sunscreen with at least 30SPF is not an option.

Thanks for your reply.

tUrRrRa
08-12-2009, 08:25 AM
Did this ever happen before using the BHA? I would definitely think the BHA can cause this feeling. Products with BHA or even AHA can make your skin more sensitive to certain products. You are right- I'd agree that it's better to just wear the sunscreen and have the slight stinging. You don't want to not go without the sunscreen. Plus, AHA and BHA make your skin more sensitive to the sun. The only thing you can really do is consider trying a different BHA product with a lower concentration, or try new sunscreens, but likely all sunscreens will do this if even your makeup causes the feeling.

EllieFrog
08-14-2009, 11:34 AM
Yea, it happened before using BHA as well. I just started using the BHA a couple of months ago and I've been using the Banana Boat sunscreen for close to a year. It always stings slightly and feels warm, but the sensation goes away after a few minutes.

That was exactly my thinking - BHA makes my skin even more sensitive to products AND the sun so neglecting to wear sunscreen is not an option. I guess I'll just have to put up with it since it's not a major problem - I just found it kind of strange.
Thanks!!