PDA

View Full Version : HELP-Child with suspicious area.

lakegirlz
09-03-2009, 07:00 AM
I have a 10 year old daughter who has reddish (auburn) hair and LOTS of freckles (she gets it from me). She has 2 areas that I am concerned with, 1 is on her arm-it looks like a light freckle with a very dark brown center but is raised a bit (it's been like this without changes for a few yr's). The other is on the side of her neck and again looks like a freckle that is raised but over the last few months she says it's started itching and over the last few weeks has a red ring around it. I made an appt with a dermatologist but they can't see her for 3 weeks. How concerned should I be? My mom has had basal/squamous cell in the past but these don't look like anything she's had.
Thanks

Chele60
09-03-2009, 07:39 AM
Hi and welcome!

You are doing the right thing by having your daughter checked out by a dermatologist. Unlike your primary care physician, dermatologists don't often see patients very quickly after they make their calls. I can understand it's frustrating and can be panic-inducing when you aren't sure of what you are looking - especially when it's your child!

The mole on your daughter's arm sounds to me (and I am NOT a medical professional, so take this for what it is), as if it is a simple mole. Some moles are elevated slightly and it isn't a cause for concern. However, since you will be at the dermatogolist, it will be wise to have him/her check it out.

The mole on your daughter's neck is probably just a mole. I'm not sure what the red ring around it might mean, but if the area is irritated and itchy, and your daughter has been scratching the area, that could be causing the area to become red. As far as an itchy mole, yes, it is a symptom of melanoma. However, it is also important to consider that moles are comprised of skin, and like skin, they can simply become irritated and itchy. Especially if your daughter might have had contact with something that may have caused irritation.

Now, I am NOT trying to dismiss your concerns - not at all! I'm just trying to show you there might be something very innoculous going on. And I know that 3 weeks sounds like an eternity, but it will be fine. I would suggest you watch both areas, and monitor for changes. This way, when you do see the derm, you will be able to provide information on exactly how these areas changed over the next 3 weeks, if they do change.

It will be okay. You are doing the right thing and being a great mom. Please let us know what happens, k?

lakegirlz
09-03-2009, 09:06 AM
Thank you, I really needed someone to "calm me" for the next 3 weeks! I'm sure it is just a simple mole, but I can't help but worry a bit.
Again, Thanks

Chele60
09-03-2009, 03:11 PM
It's okay! And worrying comes with the territory of being a mom! :)

ryanjames640
09-03-2009, 05:14 PM
I agree with the previous poster. Sounds pretty normal to me. If they look like normal moles (symmetrical: meaning that if you split it in half they look pretty much the same) then your probably fine.

I had a mole on me that looked like melanoma and it came back fine so breath easy :) you're doing the right thing.

Oleander53
09-04-2009, 07:09 AM
Stay calm and you are doing the right thing having her looked over.

Now Mom....... when is the last time you had a skin check? With your family history you should be looked over by a Dermatologist once a year. I also have a family history of Squamous, Basal and Melanoma. I just in the last year have had several SCC and BCC's off...... Make sure you get yourself checked out. Both my brothers also have had a BCC and Melanoma. Ours did not occur until we were in our 50's. Start getting checked early. I make my children get a check up yearly due to our family history.

Take care of your self too .............. Sincerely, Oleander

lakegirlz
09-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Thank you-Actually I do get yearly check up's I just didn't know I needed to have my children do so at such a young age.
Again, Thanks to all of you!