PDA

View Full Version : Could this be melanoma?

Hi guys
09-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Well a few years ago I had a purple mark on my leg and I thought it was a bruise so I didn't pay much attention to it.

A few months later it got kind of raised, about a mm or a less, it kind of hurt when I put pressure on it, it stayed like that for a few months.

After those few months it kind of went away, there is still a scar spot where it was, but it isn't raise and doesn't hurt anymore.

Was this melanoma?

And if it was did my body fight it off? Or is something else, like its dormant, it moved, etc.?

I'm not going to say my age, but I am still living with my parents. I am afraid to tell them that I think I have cancer but they are taking me to the doctor soon for an infection on my foot. I am going to pop in the question to my doc about it, I will tell you guys what happens.

Chele60
09-21-2009, 07:51 AM
Hi!

Having had melanoma, and having talked to many people who have been through the multiple stages of melanoma, I sincerely doubt that you've had melanoma and your body fought it off. Melanoma is an extremely aggressive form of skin cancer, and without aggressive treatment, normally offers patients a prognosis of a life expectantcy of 6 to 9 months once stage IV has been reached.

What did you have? I don't know. Perhaps a nasty bruise. My boyfriend has a permanent bruise on his lower leg from being hit there by a softball years ago. Nothing the doctor can do for it, either. Then again, it may be something else. But melanoma? While anything is certainly possible, I really do doubt it.

You would be wise to bring it up to your doctor, and have him/her take a look at it. I'm sure there is an explanation for it.

Oh, and I know this is tougher than it sounds, but you should never be afraid to tell your parents if something is wrong physically - especially if you feel you might have cancer. Please keep in mind that, should you have cancer, early dectection and treatment are your best chance of survival in every case. And I'm positive your parents want to keep you around for a long, long, long time!

Good luck and please keep us posted!