PDA

View Full Version : Mohs Surgery

LizzyL
10-10-2009, 11:50 AM
I am 52, female and have just had my second Mohs surgery. The first was for basal cell and the scar runs from the inside corner of my left eye down the side of my nose. The second surgery was for squamous cell above my right eye, just below the eyebrow. Both surgeries were successful and are healing very nicely. My doctor is now asking me to use Carac cream on other areas, specifically upper lip and some areas of forehead. I realize this is payback for the many summers of baby oil/iodine in my teens and twenties. Any advice for the use of Carac? I've heard horror stories and I'm not so sure given all I've just been through that I am willing to try the cream.

Any input/advice would be so appreciated. Three siblings have also had the Mohs.

Thank you:)

Oleander53
10-12-2009, 09:44 PM
Hi Lizzy,

I also have multiple SCC and BCC's. I am not familiar with Carac. Let me know how it goes...I have only had surgery to cut mine out and then some freezing.

Good luck.... I am 56 and grew up on the beach :(. I have a strong family history of Bowen's , Melanoma, SCC and BCC....

Let us know what goes on with you and how the medication works out.

Oleander

LizzyL
10-13-2009, 04:16 AM
Hi there. Thanks for writing. Although I grew up in New England we slathered on the baby oil/iodine for years. Carac is worth "Googling". I will keep you posted re progress. I see my derm. this Thurs. to have two suspicious spots frozen, hoping to fend off any add'l Mohs. I am 52.

luckycat
10-25-2009, 04:25 PM
hi there,
i've had so many mohs surgeries on my face, i'm really sick of it. it seems like when one is gone another one pops up. its very depressing. i don't know why all of a sudden they are coming out. i know its from all the sun i had as a kid,plus i'm very light skinned. so now i try to stay out of it.;)

LizzyL
10-26-2009, 03:55 AM
I'm so sorry to hear that. I've had two and will begin treatment w/Carac cream (Google for info.) mid-November. I have lots of ak's on my face so we're trying to ward off any future Mohs. It is depressing; I understand. I am one of eight siblings and four of us have had this surgery. Take note though....my mom had Mohs on her ear back in February of this year...and we just found out it has spread to her lymph nodes, now we are dealing with a monster. Get checked every six months and don't let them forget your ears!!! Scary stuff. Good luck!! Keep me posted

Oleander53
10-26-2009, 09:31 AM
My Dad had Bowen's, Melanomas, Basal Cells and Squamous Cells. My brothers have had Basal Cells and Melanomas. I have had Bowen's, BCC's and SCC's. I have had a ton of AK's off also...

I had plenty of sun but one of my brother's had NO sun. There is research that this can be caused by other things than Sun. Arsenic, pesticides, solvents, radiation and even the HPV virus is known to cause SCC's. There is also some research about people who get cold sores on their mouths having a higher tendency to get skin cancers. So that would also be viral.

My Dad had a total of 6 Melanoma's from age 48 to his last at 94. First one on his back and the rest were face, neck and ear. The last one took him out was on his earlobe. Catching them all early is the key. He was not one to be out in the sun at all. No one else in his family had any known skin cancers. But now all 3 of us have had skin cancers...

Basal cell and Squamous cell can be aggressive also if not treated timely. There is a misconception about that will not happen but it can. Make sure you tell your Gynecologist to look really good down there when you get your Pap. My first SCC was where the sun don't shine. Mucuous Membrane skin cancers can be the most agressive. Men need to check their genital area also. It is not talked about enough.

I am not familiar with this cream but my family members have used FU5. I have only had surgery and freezing done.

Sorry if I have repeated myself. I am hoping this helps someone.

Oleander

luckycat
10-27-2009, 08:39 AM
i am so sorry to hear about the surgery. i can't believe that your moms spread to her lymph nodes. did she have a basal cell on her ear that spread? i'll have to ask the doc again about that carzac cream. some lady at church is using something and it has her face all red and crusty.
good luck

LizzyL
10-28-2009, 03:54 AM
i am so sorry to hear about the surgery. i can't believe that your moms spread to her lymph nodes. did she have a basal cell on her ear that spread? i'll have to ask the doc again about that carzac cream. some lady at church is using something and it has her face all red and crusty.
good luck

LizzyL
10-28-2009, 03:57 AM
Hi there. My mom had Stage III squamous cell carcinoma on her earlobe. She had the Mohs however cells had already traveled from her ear to the lymph nodes in her neck. She will now face biopsies, surgery radiation and hope for the best. She is 83 and refuses chemo. Carac cream causes those side effects (red, crusty) my sister and brother both used it, nasty but effective. Take care.

Oleander53
10-28-2009, 12:52 PM
I am so sorry about your Mother. Do not let her age fool you she can hopefully beat this and do well. 3 of my Fathers melanomas were while in his 80's and he did well with them. How long do you think she had this before it was discovered.

I am not familiar with Carac but FU5 Cream Eudex or something like that gives you the same red, crusty. flakey look....

My Father was 93 when his 6th and last melanoma on his earlobe metast to his liver. He refused treatment other than surgery. I am glad since he only lasted 2 weeks after surgery. Had we known that we would not had his earlobe removed. He was very very healthy and physically healthy until he died. My Father battled skin cancer from 48 to 94 which shows you can live a long good life with it. He had numerous BCC's and SCC's also.

I have a Grade 3 SCC in my genital area. I have been told many times how fortunate I am it has not spread or become aggressive so far. People really need to take BCC and SCC's very very serious because they can cause serious problems.

I will pray and hope for the best for your Mother......... Sincerely. Oleander

glenmjones
11-06-2009, 09:57 AM
carac worked fine for me -- put it on each night for a month, area turned red, then flaked and cleared up. there was not really a time when i felt disfigured.

LizzyL
11-07-2009, 04:52 AM
carac worked fine for me -- put it on each night for a month, area turned red, then flaked and cleared up. there was not really a time when i felt disfigured.

LizzyL
11-07-2009, 04:53 AM
Thanks so much for your reply. I've been waiting to apply because all I've heard is horror stories. I do have a wedding to attend late November so I think I'll begin just a few days before. Thanks again for the encouragement.

Oleander53
11-07-2009, 08:12 PM
My Dad used to look terrible with the FU5 and or Efudex sp? He would be bright red and flake forever... it also made him tired and nauseated sometimes. It seemed to work though. Oleander

glenmjones
11-08-2009, 08:11 AM
i also had used efudex previously -- and was reluctant to do it again. my dermatologist also gave me an alternative - some sort of photo-light treatment @ his office - taking several hours off and on under the light. it too would leave the affected area quite red and then would flake, but the treatment time would be much shorter. i didn't like that option.

luckycat
11-09-2009, 05:37 AM
hi,
i'm so depressed. last night i found another red dot on my nose. i guess that means more surgery. i already have one on top of my nose. everytime i look in the mirror i'm seeing more spots. when is it ever going to stop?

LizzyL
11-10-2009, 04:09 AM
hi,
i'm so depressed. last night i found another red dot on my nose. i guess that means more surgery. i already have one on top of my nose. everytime i look in the mirror i'm seeing more spots. when is it ever going to stop?

LizzyL
11-10-2009, 04:12 AM
Hi. Has this red dot been confirmed? I'm sorry if it has and I wish I could tell you when it will stop. I see my derm. this afternoon for what I consider more suspicious spots. Very frustrating and depressing, I know exactly how you feel. I will begin Carac cream in a week or so because my upper lip has lots of AK spots that need to be treated before they turn into something worse. I know there is a photolight therapy available so maybe you should inquire. One of the nurses in my derm. office had it done and it worked well for her, however, not so sure it's covered. Keep me posted and best of luck!!

luckycat
11-11-2009, 06:13 AM
hi lizzy, how did you doctor's appt go? did you find more spots? i go on dec 2 for the surgery on my cheek, then i'll ask about my nose. i feel like not saying anything. i get so depressed when i look in the mirror. she says to me , at least you are catching them when they are small now. is that carac cream take the basal cell away? or do you eventually need the surgery to get rid of it.. good luck lizzy

glenmjones
11-11-2009, 08:37 AM
hi,

red spots don't necessarily relate to skin cancer. it could be a number of things. a cancer normally wouldn't just appear overnight. try to relax and leave it up to an expert who looks at dozens of patients every day. then take the treatment that is advised.