PDA

View Full Version : concentrate juice

tybrad
11-08-2009, 04:41 PM
why is concentrated fruit juice not good.

tjlhb
11-09-2009, 12:09 AM
Compared to the whole fruit, the juice has a higher concentration of calories and sugars, while it has less fiber and is less satisfying. In rich countries, most people worry more about obesity than starvation, so those characteristics of juice make it less desirable than whole fruit from a nutrition standpoint.

tybrad
11-09-2009, 11:28 AM
I should have been more clear in my question. By concentrate juice, I meant the process. I hear its not good for a person to drink, compared to "not from concentrate". There's something in the process that makes it not good.

JohnR41
12-07-2009, 11:51 AM
tybrad,

I completely agree with tjlhb as he gave good reasons to avoid juice. But now that you have restated your question, I can give you another reason. Let's take orange juice as an example. In order to make concentrate, the juice has to be heated to the point where the water in the juice will evaporate and the equipment that does this is called an evaporator. The juice swirls through hot pipe coils to get heated and great care has to be taken not to burn the juice. It requires constant supervision and testing.

Even though the juice usually doesn't burn, you can imagine how it gets pretty hot. What does this high heat do to the vitamin C and other nutrition content? I can't help but think that it destroys some of it.

What about juice that's not from concentrate? I'm not completely sure but I think that it gets heated to, for pasteurization.

tybrad
12-07-2009, 01:11 PM
thank you. Thats what I had heard too, but wanted to double check. I don't eat microwave food either because it kills everything in it that your body needs to keep your immune system healthy. Thanks again.