PDA

View Full Version : Finding relief and getting a life again

seabell
11-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Hi all! Its been a long time since I've posted here, but I wanted to share with you what I've been doing for my IBS-D, and how its helped me get out of the house and enjoy myself a bit.

Some history...I've suffered from IBS-D for over 15 years. What started out as a minor annoyance totally controlled my life. I wouldn't leave my house until after 11am (that was on 'good' days). I always knew where a toilet was. I stopped eating out, going to movies, missed many highlights of my child's life (graduation, class parties, etc). I take immodium every time I venture out of the house, on bad days, I take lomotil. I will not eat until I'm home, safe...and near a toilet...even if it means going all day w/o eating. You'd think I'd be skinny...lol.

First, over a year ago, I started taking acacia fiber daily at night. I've tried metamucil, fibercon, all the various type fibers sold in drug stores/health food stores. They all made my D and gas/bloating much worse and would often set off IBS attacks lasting weeks. However, the acacia fiber firmed up my stool a lot and even helped the explosive uncontrollable episodes that would often hit me in the middle of day (most likely when I was not near a toilet....) It also has cut down on those horrible gut wrenching cramps I would get. Peppermint tea also helps with those. I find myself enjoying a cup at least 4 times a week.

I bought a portable potty for my car. Marine potty...camping potty...look for them on line. They are under $100. If I am going on a car trip, its in my back seat, along with a gallon of water to flush. Can't see the need to have the water/chemicals in the potty if I don't have to use it and take a chance of it flipping over. (all my life I avoided the soccer mom mini van, now would trade my luxury car for one in a heartbeat so I could stick the potty way in the back, string up a shower curtain around it and have a travelling potty!) I cannot begin to tell you the sense of security having that with me gives me...the security to actually venture more than 15 miles away from my house.

And lastly...and this one is weird...Archway Macaroon cookies. For the first time in 15 years my stools are...and I'm sorry if this is too much info... formed, solid...no mucus. I have no clue why they help...but I've been eating one/two a day for the past 2 weeks and its like I don't have IBS anymore. In fact, this morning, when the urge to go hit me, I actually was able to continue doing loading the dishwasher instead of making a mad dash to the potty and praying I'd make it in time.

If any of you try any of these, I wish you luck and success!

Happy Turkey Day!

Jewels77
11-24-2009, 05:20 PM
Seabell, Where do I find ACACIA? I'm willing to try just about anything. I hate coconut, but I'll get the macaroon cookies and drink the peppermink tea. This problem is really dicating my entire life and I'm tired of it!! I can't believe our medical community can't help us more. Thank you. Jewels

seabell
11-25-2009, 04:29 AM
Hi Jewels!

You can find acacia fiber in any health food store or on line. I use Heather's Tummy Fiber (google it) .

I saw a change in my IBS after just a few days of using it. I started out with just a tablespoon in the evening and have only increased my dosage to 2 tablespoons a day. Its tasteless, doesn't gel up like other fibers. I'm not going to say that the fiber alone 'cured' me, but within weeks of taking it I was able to go the movies for the first time in 10 years and sit thru the whole movie and enjoy myself. :)

Best of luck to you...let me know how it works for you.

SB

LillieBelle
12-26-2009, 11:49 PM
Have been diagnosed with diverticulitis and suffering with this for 4 months now. Diarrhea just terrible. Doctor recently put me on Lotronex (expensive & possible side
effects) so I am happy to read your post and will definitely try your suggestions.
One question for you----and not a pleasant one :)------ my stools are so foul smelling that I hate using the bathroom any place but home where I can open a window. Did
you have this problem? Just curious. Thanks -- appreciate it.