PDA

View Full Version : Probiotics: how many "billions" of microorganisms do i need?

atothek
11-24-2009, 05:56 PM
Im dealing with an ulcer and some associated IBS right now and, following having taken two rounds of anti-b's and two rounds of steroids.

My stomach is destroyed.

I found NOW brand, which has Acidophilus and Bifidus in it; a total of 10 billion per pill. Is that enough for starters and should I work my way up to higher amount?

Thanks!

JohnR41
11-25-2009, 07:35 AM
atothek,

I'm not exactly sure but I would start with one and and give it some time. To help things along, you should be eating lots of vegetables and whole grains. Natural whole foods help to establish the good bacteria.

If you like to read, here's the title of a book: "IBS For Dummies" by Carolyn Dean, MD, ND and L. Christine Wheeler, MA.

atothek
11-28-2009, 09:26 PM
Thanks John.
Have been taking them for about a week now, but no change. Ive been thinking about trying the "IBS PILL" by Digestive Advantage which apparently has gotten some very good reviews.
Will look into the book.

MountainReader
11-28-2009, 09:54 PM
My GI doc recommended the VSL3 DS. It is a regulated "medical food" version of a probiotic. I believe the DS version is by prescription, but the regular VSL3 is available over the internet. There is a great sticky at the top of this board regarding this.