PDA

View Full Version : Aging fears

tulum
02-11-2010, 06:47 AM
I am 36. I am so worried about aging and I don't know how to stop. I loathe my body, my face, everything about myself. I just don't like myself at all and I hate how I look. And I fear that the older I get the worse I will get. I keep getting these images of myself being older and so unhappy that my youth is gone.

what should I do?

friendsville
02-11-2010, 03:44 PM
I try to help others more unfortunate than me.I don't do much anymore,but I have dizzy spells at times,and this slows me down.I thank the Lord that I can see fairly well,as a senior citizen.I used to take the unsighted to appointments,and this was most rewarding to my heart.May God give you strength to reach out to the poorest souls. Love to all....Bill

leea1206
02-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Tulum

Look a little closer at your physical features. - Everyone can find something they like about themselves! Maybe you have pretty eyes, nice hair or some other positive feature. And regarding the things you don't like, are there some small changes you can make by experimenting with makeup, clothing that works for you, a new hairstyle or haircolor?

Remember, people tend to see themselves under a harsher light than other's do. And honestly, whether you believe it or not, you are absolutely perfect, just the way God made you. Your individual features are what makes you unique.

And at 36, you are hardly old! Your life has barely begun! Still lot's of possibities and new things you can try.

Let me just say, I am 52 and still feel vibrant. - I'm looking forward to many great years ahead. And by the way, I was diagnosed with breast cancer at 48. I am fine now but believe me, a life threatening diagnosis really makes you think about what's important. I am almost glad to get a few wrinkles because at least it means I am alive and getting older! Think of the alternative!

Anyway, I wish you well. Try to enjoy the journey!
Leea

seri10
04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
How old are you? How long have you had this fear on aging? I believe that it all starts within us. Having a young soul and not taking life so seriously. I am 44 years old and look about 30 years old. People ask me all the time what do I do to not have a wrinkle or crows feet. I telll them years of using vaseline and living stress free. Take care and good luck to you.

hypatia
04-12-2010, 06:50 AM
Is it possible you have too much free time on your hands to dwell on your physical appearance, or maybe a little anxiety? I'll be 70 soon and remember feeling like you when I turned 40--that's when I began an exercise program that's served me well over the years (even through severe illness). It may seem simplistic, but try brisk walking when things get you down. Wear yourself out so that you sleep well.

Do you have close family and a circle of friends, or have you isolated yourself? Are you able to keep a pet? This is the time to start making memories. Try to look at the good things in each day instead of the negative. Maybe even seek counseling.

lowfreq
04-27-2010, 06:13 PM
she has a point.. aging is not fun.. it's ugly as hell.. and whoever tells u otherwise is denying the truth from themselves.. and that truth is simply the consequence of what we do to ourselves that is making us age -- and that is smoking, drinking, not exercising, and eating.. yes eating! look up the raw food diet and there you will some answers on how you can reverse aging..

amyd
08-05-2010, 09:55 AM
You should see a therapist. You are way too focused on what you perceive to be a negative aspect of your life that in reality is probably something.

Janebobjoe
08-07-2010, 08:28 AM
How old are you? How long have you had this fear on aging? I believe that it all starts within us. Having a young soul and not taking life so seriously. I am 44 years old and look about 30 years old. People ask me all the time what do I do to not have a wrinkle or crows feet. I telll them years of using vaseline and living stress free. Take care and good luck to you.

Boy are you lucky! What's your trick of living stress free? I'd love to try it! :wave:

jo80s
11-09-2010, 02:47 AM
I'm in my 40's and I do think sometimes that I may have just a few years to live. It's depressing

swoopmj
11-10-2010, 03:27 AM
In your 40s? There are many women around in their 50s who still look and are hot. If you are worried then it is probably a good time to tweek your lifestyle, your diet and exercise regime. You do have some control over how you age and by taking charge, you will minimize your anxiety over ageing.
Take some risks, do something new and challenging. You still have many good years left.:wave:

Jersey Goseng
11-28-2010, 05:37 AM
First, let me just praise Jenny for being so kind and sensible. perhaps that's the first thing about dealing with this issue : Kindness - to others and to one's self.

Maybe coming from an impoverished country, these things are less dire for us - not that we don't fear it because we do. But think of it this way - others don't even get the chance to fear it - because they do die young out of poverty or hard labor or disease. My best friend died young of the Big C - but the best thing i remember about her was being so lovely (she always made it a point to look good despite her condition) and fun for most of her life, at least until the disease finally caught up with her. other people i know just don't have time to think about these things - especially the working moms with kids - who have to labor day in and out to feed those hungry little mouths.

Maybe it is depression, and you can try to solve it by doing things to make you feel beautiful, etc. but you can also try reaching out to others and looking around you to see life as others live it, just so you'll be able to count your blessings. try helping out women victims of abuse, a shelter for kids or for the aged - anything that might possibly catch your interest and compassion.

Life is hard, you shouldn't make it harder. Where you can make things lighter for yourself or for others, it is your obligation to do so.

Sorry, i do not mean to preach. you of course have every right to ignore my words if these don't sound sensible or helpful to you.

Jersey Goseng
11-28-2010, 05:50 AM
by the way, being beautiful does not necessarily mean being young or physically well-endowed.

Look around you - even the young and really pretty faces can get the thumbs down when they're slovenly or rude or clumsy...others exude grace simply with a straight back and plain good taste in dressing; still many others become beautiful or attractive simply by having a pleasant personality, by being sincere or cheerful - it's the 'aura' that often matters.

We should stop being slaves to society's yardsticks of what's desirable - it's plain silly. There's only one Angelina Jolie in the world just as there's only one you.

jo80s
12-06-2010, 11:18 PM
In your 40s? There are many women around in their 50s who still look and are hot. If you are worried then it is probably a good time to tweek your lifestyle, your diet and exercise regime. You do have some control over how you age and by taking charge, you will minimize your anxiety over ageing.
Take some risks, do something new and challenging. You still have many good years left.:wave:

How did you know I need to diet and exercise? Lol You are so right there your post is all I need to see things differently. Thanks