PDA

View Full Version : living alone/independently

arogerskid
08-04-2010, 09:23 AM
I've been considering moving closer to DS (dear son) in Texas but am having a dickens of a time finding a retirement/continueing care community that has ANY idea that someone in a wheelchair can actually live alone if there are at least minimal accessible features.

Basically I was just looking for single level floorplan, turnaround space, ramps or possibility of adding ramps, accessible or easy remodel bathroom, room for 3 dogs and a two car garage. The single-family or duplex layouts are almost laughable and the marketing people push toward assisted living apartments with "help."

Am I the only person who is using a wheelchair/scooter that currently lives alone without home health aides, etc? Surely not!

So how many people including yourself, if applicable, do you know in my situation?

Thanks for any input/insight you offer.

hot mama on whe
12-06-2010, 12:14 PM
I have pps and live alone I am lucky to have my sons all close by. I found a over 55 community of town houses. I had to customize with entrance ramps and wider closet doors. Also redid my large bath with a shower that I could slide from my wheel chair into. I've managed very well. I also have three dogs as well as 2 cats. It also came with a fenced in back yard so I can just let the dogs out back. Hope you can find something like this. Looking for houses in a chair or with crutches is always difficult.

Good luck.....Have you found anything yet?