PDA

View Full Version : Drinking while eating vs. Drinking after eating

Replicon
08-15-2010, 09:30 PM
Hey, quickish question: I was reading some general health and nutrition advice somewhere, and one of the recommendations was to decouple drinking from eating. So, instead of eating dinner with a large glass of water, you'd drink water, then an hour or so later eat dinner, then an hour or so later drink more water, etc.

I was always under the impression that diluting what you eat with a bit of water is good for digestion, but I'm wondering if there is any validity to the claim that it's better to drink separately from your meal. Thoughts?

cheers!

JohnR41
08-16-2010, 12:59 PM
..... the recommendations was to decouple drinking from eating.

I think it's pretty good advice because not everyone has a lot of stomach acid. And even if you do have a lot of stomach acid, why dilute it?

I was always under the impression that diluting what you eat with a bit of water is good for digestion, but I'm wondering if there is any validity to the claim that it's better to drink separately from your meal.

Many years ago, while listening to a talk show on nutrition, I heard the host say the following: Drink about 4 ounces of water 15 minutes before meals. I suppose it could be 30 to 45 minutes before meals. And I suppose it could be more than 4 ounces for certain large size people. I believe there could be some flexibility in this "rule".

The main thing is to try not to dilute your stomach acid by drinking during a meal. Could there be some exceptions to that? I wouldn't be surprised. There may be situations where some people have difficulty in swallowing and need to drink during a meal. But I assume we are not talking about special situations here.

:)