PDA

View Full Version : Hydroquinone cancer

Jasonc126
09-12-2010, 06:22 PM
Does hydroquinone really cause cancer? Has anybody here used hydroquinone long term and had good results?

liam23
10-11-2010, 03:14 AM
Hydroquinone is a topical agent for reducing skin pigmentation. Hydroquinone was banned in January 2001 in cosmetics because of the potential damage it can do to the skin in terms of irritating the skin and creating white areas where no pigment can be made or in some cases turning the skin black. Recent studies have shown the potential of hydroquinone to cause cancer.

Hydroquinone has been known to cause blood cancers such as Leukemia and Kidney damage in animal studies. When applied to the skin it is absorbed into the blood stream and excreted via the kidneys but at a slower rate. This tells us that hydroquinone accumulates in the body. It is broken down in the bone marrow to p-benzoquinone and this is where long term damage may originate.

eddysmom1
11-19-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't know if this would help--but I found a Hydrocodone free product that actually has been lightening some darker pigmentation on my skin.

It is Meladerm--takes a few weeks to start noticing a difference, but it really does work.

:)

suzanne44256
02-04-2011, 09:09 PM
That is true. I just found out myself that hydroquinine is a *benzene* derivative. Benzene is definitely known to be one of the things that can cause blood cancers, like multiple myeloma and leukemia. So I would be wary of it. Maybe google some organic skin products that help with lightening.

Jasonc126
03-31-2011, 08:19 AM
I found this article on hydroquinone from Paula Begoun. "As for hydroquinone being linked to leukemia, the link has to do with the chemical benzene, which can be metabolized into hydroquinone. It’s the benzene as the starting point that’s cause for concern, not hydroquinone as it is used in topical skin lightening products."

There has not been documented case of cancer of people using hydroquinone.