PDA

View Full Version : Serious Bed Head-help!

writeleft
09-15-2010, 08:30 AM
After months of spending 24 hours a day reclined and on pillows, I have developed serious knots in my hair on the bottom half of my head.

For now, I have been using the hair on top to make a bun, and slip the knotted part under it, like a bumpit made of real hair. I know, it's awful.

One of my problems is that I cannot hold my arms above my head, or it would have never gotten this way. What hair I have is damaged from taking lots of medication, and has thinned and looks dead.

Even though I am really sick, I still want to look nice but it is getting harder and harder to do that, now with this bit knot. It is enough to cover the entire back of my head, and up the hairline about 2-3 inches high. The rest of my hair I have protected from the knot, because it seems to suck more hair into it if I let it. Everyday I brush the hair up and away from the knot and put it in a hair tie by turning my head over and doing it upside down. That only lasts a minute and I am dizzy:

Will I eventually have to cut the thing out? Likely. Before I do, I am looking for your ideas...Thanks!

trystme
09-15-2010, 10:47 AM
Have you tried a really deep conditioner while having someone else try to brush it out? Or you could try olive oil. Let it sit a while and then have someone else try to brush out the knot.

writeleft
09-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Oh the olive oil! Thank you, I remember now that a nurse put olive oil in my hair once in the hospital for this same thing. You are right, it did work...now to find the volunteer to do the combing.:wave:

painfulneck
09-18-2010, 09:26 PM
Hi- You can also try spray on , leave in conditioner. I have used them on my kids when they were young for the tangles after baths. I use them to to protect for heat of blow dyer etc. There are many brands that have them, Herbal Essence, Tresemme. Good Luck.

annstar
10-06-2010, 07:56 AM
Deep conditioning masks are great, also using a protein enriched shampoo will help your hair from thinning and breaking :)

writeleft
10-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Thanks for the replys... I have taken your suggestions to take better care of the hair I have left. The knot is impossible to untangle. No matter how much conditioner, oil, mayonnaise etc. I used, nada.

It looks like the knot is here to stay, and I have found quite a few ways to work it in to make a cute little hairball bun.:D.
I have also hot glued big silk sunflowers onto hair combs to stick in it. It is pretty funny to me sometimes, and it has made me cry before as well. Part of illness, with a flower in it!

Locket25
11-26-2010, 12:09 AM
How are you going and how is the hair?
All the best
Locket :wave:

writeleft
11-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow...the darn knot is still there, just today I went out and bought some more scrunchies, a hairbrush, and some fancy bun holder thing.

So I am still in the "hide the knot" phase. The thought of cutting it all off has crossed my mind but I just cant bring myself to have such a drastic shaved off back of head.

Funny, I have an illness that will likely make my hair fall out eventually - end stage kidney failure, most loose hair at the start off dialysis. So, the knot will likely stay a little longer, but eventually it will go with the rest.

eddysmom1
11-27-2010, 04:26 AM
I am sorry you are so sick; have you gotten anyone do put the olive oil in your hair?

I am wondering if that may have helped you at all.

:)

writeleft
11-27-2010, 02:10 PM
No, no one is willing to take the beast on...although I have the olive oil waiting in case someone shows up to use it!;)

Orchid1991
06-20-2011, 02:49 PM
This won't help with the knot you have but I bought satin pillow covers and they actually helped and I wouldn't wake up with a big knot of hair at the back of my head. The past few months my sleeps have been a little restless so I'm moving all over the place and getting knots but for the first year it was great.