PDA

View Full Version : Women who suffer from IBS should read this...

rocheke
09-06-2002, 10:08 PM
I sent this response earlier this evening as a reply to some advice I got from my last post. I realize that I would be negligent in not posting it as a new topic. Please read on:

Super Sarah and Andy--

Thanks for your responses. However, earlier this week, I found that I was misdiagnosed with IBS. Lately, there has been a lot of exposure in our local newspaper about the CA-125 blood test...this is a step in diagnosing ovarian cancer. I had the test done and my level was at 450. I was diagnosed with cancer and will begin radical treatment on Monday. Had I of been aware that IBS mimics the symptoms of ovarian cancer, you could be sure that I would have had the test done much earlier. I had never heard of CA-125 testing until reading the articles in the newspaper.

If any females read this posting, please make sure you have this test done to rule out cancer of the ovaries. If your insurance won't pay for it (United Healthcare does not!), pay for it yourself. It cost a little over $100...obviously well worth it.

Peace.
Kristin

Harry
09-06-2002, 10:31 PM
Hi Kristin,
Thanks for the information ---but could you please tell us what symptoms IBS mimics ovarian cancer???

Thanks---Harry

andyM
09-07-2002, 12:12 AM
Common warning symptoms include

Abdominal bloating or discomfort
Changes in bowel function
Unexplained weight gain and a distended abdomen from fluid build-up
Nausea
Infertility or changes in menstruation patterns

JLSeagull
09-07-2002, 02:34 PM
Thankyou for the message you posted.I feel that the symptoms you mention could cover a "multitude" of problems that maybe you could be frightening alot of people.
Regards

andyM
09-07-2002, 03:06 PM
I certainly am not meaning to frighten anyone. However, it is important that we are all proactive about our health, as Rocheke can tell you. If she wasnt proactive, and would have listened to her doctor, who knows how long until she got the correct diagnosis.

I got those symptoms off the national ovarian cancer website. I feel that it is better for women to be aware of what to look for, than to not know at all. Knowledge is half the battle.

For more information on ovarian cancer, you can goto this website: <A HREF="http://207.26.148.239/pages.asp?page=symptoms" TARGET=_blank>http://207.26.148.239/pages.asp?page=symptoms</A>

Again, the risk of this cancer is small, but it is there, and worth staying on top of your symptoms.

Much love and hope to all.

rocheke
09-07-2002, 08:36 PM
Harry, JLSeagull and AndyM--

In no way was I trying to scare anyone and how dare anyone try to tell me (or maybe it was to AndyM) that I/we are possibly scaring people unnecessarily. I was simply telling people what is happenig to ME and afterall, isn't that what this MB is about?

I realize that I am now visiting the wrong message board and maybe on day I will visit one about coping with the aftermath of ovarian cancer.

People SHOULD be aware that many IBS symptoms mimic the same symptoms of cancer in ovarian form: for instance; bloating, distended abdomen, changes in bowel function, severe constipation, abdominal cramping, gassy feeling are all symptoms of BOTH IBS and ovarian cancer. Oh, and by the way, I was informed that if you are a female and if you have been diagnosed with IBS and are not getting relief for your IBS symptoms that you should make sure that you have this test.

Be proactive about your healthcare. If you aren't comfortable with a diagnosis then by all means, see another doctor. We all need to be responsible for our own health.

For those of you whom I scared (without meaning to), I never meant to petrify you or to make you feel like a hypochondriac, but if you are uncertain or not too comfortable with your diagnosis, SEE YOUR DOCTOR and demand the test. If it shows up negative, I am very happy for you. If it shows up that you have any stage of the cancer, I am sorry, yet relieved that you had the testing done before it was too late.

Peace,
Kristin

andyM
09-08-2002, 09:04 AM
Kristin

Kudos to you for having the strength and courage to post your story and share all you are going through. I think it is VERY important that people are informed of the FACTS. The truth is, ovarian cancer DOES mimic IBS, and if that scares people, I am sorry, but it is better to save a life than leave people in the dark.

You are on my prayer list and if there is anything I can do for you, please let me know.

Much love
Andy

rocheke
09-08-2002, 10:44 AM
Andy--

Thanks,I agree with you...much better to keep people informed and save a life than keep people on the dark simply because the truth is "scary". I appreciate the kind words.

This will be my last post. As you know, I will be going into the hospital this evening to begin treatment tomorrow morning. Thanks for keeping me in your prayers!

Peace,
Kristin

JLSeagull
09-09-2002, 02:52 PM
I am sorry if I have upset anyone I did not mean to.My best wishes to you all.Unable to pray or I would send those also.I will unsubscribe so as not to cause more upset.

Jadair
09-09-2002, 03:13 PM
Thank you very much for the information.

jd

andyM
09-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Kristin,

I know you said you wouldnt be able to post anymore as you will be in treatment, but maybe this message will reach you telepathically. Be strong, keep your faith and hang in there. I have put you on numerous church prayer lists, and will continue to keep you in my thoughts.

With much love for a quick and full recovery.
Andy

skitzosheepiac
09-12-2002, 02:18 PM
Hi,
I was just wondering if you know if an ultrasound would
rule out Ovarian cancer? I am young and do not think it is a big risk for me but I have not had relief from my IBS symptoms. Nausea and abnormal stool formation are my biggest ones. I had an abdominal ultrasound about 6 months ago and it didn't show anything abnormal.

thanks

andyM
09-15-2002, 10:12 PM
Pelvic. Ultrasound can detect some things with the ovaries, but transvaginal ultrasound is probably more conclusive, as well as a CAT scan.

The CA-125 blood test is also not that great for younger women, as it is only accurate 50% of the time in younger people.

Hope this helps and hope you get some answers. I am still looking for answers myself.

dennie
09-18-2002, 03:26 PM
Dear Kristin

I realize I am coming in late on this thread, and am new to this board...but I also would like to send my most positive thoughts and prayers to you and your family.

I think it is wonderful that you shared this information with all on this board. It had to be rough for you to do it, as telling others of your situation tends to bring it home, and out of the state of denial you might want to put yourself into in the beginning.

It is soooooooo important that people not take for granted that their symptoms are 'only' IBS. I've read too many posts on too many boards of people finding out after way too much time has passed that they actually were suffering from other conditions like...ovarian cancer, UC or Crohns, Celiac Disease, thyroid problems, etc. It may be scarey to discuss and contemplate, but not nearly as scarey as facing what you yourself are facing now. Yes...women should demand this test...especially if there is a family history or prolonged symptoms with no explanation.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing as well as can be expected under going the treatments. I admire you very much for being so open and informative about something so personal.

If we don't help each other be proactive with our health....heaven helps us all. Better to be informed and asking questions in the drs. office, than being sideswiped by news that you never expected to hear.