PDA

View Full Version : Citrucel, Metamucil, Psyllium...

Annalein18
02-24-2001, 08:55 AM
My doctor just told me I should start taking citrucel everyday to help with my constipation, cramping, gas, etc... She chose this one because she said it causes less cramping and gas than metamucil. Well, I just want to know what the difference is between these fiber therapies. I read that citrucel is usually better for diarrhea-dominant IBS, and although this used to be my problem, I now experience the opposite. I see that many of you take psyllium and I just wondered what the difference is between all these is in terms of what effect it has. Does it matter which one you take? One thing I noticed- when I took the citrucel today and yesterday, I noticed my chest felt full and somewhat constricted (yes, I took it with tons of water- one teaspoon to over 8 oz.) and I had minor difficulty breathing- sort of like something was pushing down on my chest. It could have been a panic attack since I have serious anxiety. Anyway, I just wondered what you all thought. Thanks!

Harry
02-24-2001, 02:12 PM
Hi Anna,
Sorry the fiber is causing you to bloat.My wife has that same problem with the powder form of both Metamucil and Citrucel so she takes psyllium husk in a capsule form---it does not cause her pressure or pain. She take 4 a day,2 in the am and 2 in the pm. But,she started off with 2 daily.As you know Citrucel and Metamucil are both water soluble fiber supplements and immediately start absorbing water when mixed. I don't have any problems but many people do!!! There is a link "Fiber Differences" on the Message "Worth Reading For IBS'ers". It's not long.You may consider changing to the capsules but you have to get them from a health food store. Psyllium usually gives you gas when you first start using it but it will go away.
God Bless---Harry
<p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 02-24-2001).]

Annalein18
02-25-2001, 08:47 AM
Harry,
I don't think I'm going to continue with the citrucel, and I doubt I'll try metamucil. The reason is that since I started taking it, I'm severely constipated and I wasn't before I took it. It's almost as if the citrucel bound everything in my colon. I've found that the only thing that helps me have a BM is fresh fruit (particularly canteloupe) in the morning on an empty stomach. The citrucel seems to have done more harm than good. Any thoughts?
Anna

Harry
02-25-2001, 02:33 PM
Anna,
Water soluble fiber supplement is really about the only safe thing to take daily for constipation.You just have to stick with it. I assumed you are not taking any drug that has a constipating effect.As you may know most of the NSAIDs or pain killers except Tylenol will cause constipation.

When you are constipated,it is very uncomfortable.You can develop what is known as Lazy Bowel Syndrome. You have to re-train your bowels to move,that is produce the contractions called peristalsis. You have to sit on the toilet at the same time daily and try to have a BM. You may have to use a suppository or Fleet enama to get things started.

Most constipation is caused by lack of water and a low fiber diet. You should drink 8 glasses of water daily anyway.With the fiber supplement it's not any more. It's not tons--it's only a half gallon. Prune juice may help ---it does not oxidize like all other juices. Hope this helps.I have been taking Metamucil for 17 years and I know it works.
Take Care---Harry