PDA

View Full Version : IBS Diagnosis? - See a Naturopath

jshelbcoff
07-26-2002, 03:07 PM
Hello.

I just wanted to express to those 'IBS' sufferers (I am an 'EX' IBS sufferer thanks to a correct diagnosis) that your search for answers shouldn't end with you regular physician or GI doctor. As many of us suspect, and many doctors admit, IBS is not a diagnosis, it is simply a 'non-diagnosis' - what you have if we can't find what you have.

After suffering 27 years since birth with alternating bouts of constipation and diarrea, random stomach pains, frequent appetite loss, and a very nervous stomach, and going through bouts of testing with no firm diagnosis, thus, IBS, I went to see a naturopathic doctor who wanted to go a few steps further with blood and saliva food tolerance testing, stool testing for parasitic and other chronic infections, among other things.

She found that I was sensitive to gluten. When I told my GI doctor about it, she said "but I tested you for Celiac". This is the problem with our regular medical system - you either have something, or you don't. You can't be sensitive to something, I guess - BULL.

I have 'sub-clinical gluten intolerance', which commonly affects people of northwest European decent. After three-to-four months on a gluten-free diet (not as hard as it sounds), I was no longer having any constipation or diarrea, and no longer had a nervous stomach, never lost my appetite - I was, basically, 'cured', after the regular medical establishment told me there was nothing they could do for me. This was a year-and-a-half ago. You will not find a more 'regular' person on the face of the earth. Oh, and, as an added bonus, my underlying lactose intolerance was also 'cured' after a year on the diet - so now I can eat milk products.

My point here is, do not give up and stop with the 'conventional medicine' diagnosis. There is a lot that they, and we, still need to learn.

And, as an added bonus, I hope I can specifically help at least a few people who had my specific problem.

Peace and Good Health.

ascension
08-07-2002, 01:56 PM
How awesome that you were able to find out what was wrong! My symptoms sounds alot like the ones you discribed. I had a period where I often had constipation and now recently my bowel movements have been more like diarreah. My stomache feels bloated more often then not and I too notice a loss of appetite. And every so often I get bad stomache cramps that come and go for a day or so. Also a few years ago I became intolerant to dairy products. Not sure if this is like what you had or not. I've never been tested for IBS or anything else. I mentioned my symptoms to my family doctor one time and he said I probably had a case of IBS. I do want to go to a doctor to get checked out. I'm not sure what all tests I need done or which type of doctor to go to. Got any advice or suggestions!? Stay healthy :-)

God bless, Bethany<p>[This message has been edited by ascension (edited 08-07-2002).]

jshelbcoff
08-07-2002, 02:51 PM
Bethany -

I want to re-iterate to you that IBS is not a medical diagnosis. It is the term applied to a group of gastro-intestinal symptoms that cannot be otherwise explained by testing. If you have these 'general' problems, you probably won't get a correct diagnosis anyway from the conventional medical establishment. I recently obtained some old test results from my regular GI doctor and IN THOSE RESULTS IT SAYS CLEARLY THAT THERE MAY BE A GLUTEN SENSITIVITY in this patient! Are you kidding me? Instead of telling me that there may be a problem, and it won't hurt to try a gluten-free diet, the doctor instead tells me that I have IBS - we could find nothing - you can either have Celiac Disease or you can't - there is no such thing as borderline gluten sensitivity - this is an example of how OUR CURRENT MEDICAL SYSTEM IS A FAILURE. I pray to god that it isn't true, but I'm sure that it is, that there are millions of people that are suffering needlessly because so many doctors believe that there are no 'subtleties' in medicine.

But I also want to tell you that I am not a doctor and any symptoms that you deem to be 'severe' should be checked out by a medical doctor.

That being said, I think you would benefit from seeing a naturopathic doctor (ND). A good one would gather information from you in a 90-minute consultation (not 15-minutes), run some blood, saliva, and possibly stool tests and try to give you some answers. The digestive system is too complex for our medical establishment, so I know it's too complex for me or anyone to guess at what might help you.

I will say that I had only a few clues - like a direct feeling of queasyness/bloatedness after injesting something really heavy on the grains like wheat bread. Otherwise, this problem for me was very subtle. As I said, it took 3-9 months to see real results from the gluten-free diet. Is your ancestry from Ireland/England/Netherlands/Scandanavia? Do you now seem to stay away from the really-grainy breads like whole wheat because you just don't feel right afterwards? Biohealth Diagnostics, who does a test for this, thinks they are on the verge of discovering literally tens of millions of people who have this problem.

I wish you the best of luck and I hope you find out what you need.

Good Health to you and all.