PDA

View Full Version : peppermint oil

elisa
03-06-2001, 05:37 PM
I was wondering if peppermint oil is safe to use for ibs and how long can you take it for?

Harry
03-07-2001, 12:51 PM
Hi elisa,
As you may know peppermint oil only works if it is enteric coated so it does not release until it is out of the stomach.I have never taken it daily but only when I have gas in the colon area.It is also suppose to help candida problems.So,I really don't know if you can take it daily

I think you get gas by swollowing air ,ineffective digestion and foods that just produce gas like beans, sweet potatoes,etc. I read your other message about gas and it sounds like you need to take a digestive enzyme to help your digestion if alot of foods cause gas. And,as suggested-- you have to ID the foods(triggers) that really cause you problems and of course eliminate them from your diet.

I am a big believer in taking a water soluble fiber supplement like psyllium in Metamucil--daily and drinking water.It just make your gastro system function properly.
God Bless---Harry <p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 03-07-2001).]

TK
03-08-2001, 07:02 PM
Hi Elisa,
I took enteric coated peppermint oil capsules for a while. They seemed to help a bit, but eventually my problems came back. A bit of a warning to you -- if you have any problems w/ diarhea -- the peppermint oil is not pleasant when exiting the body. Burns a lot!! Just thought I'd let you in on that so you know what to expect. I agree with Harry, the best thing you can do for your body is to add a daily fiber supplement. You won't be sorry. Just wanted to give you a heads up on this.
Hope all improves for you.

elisa
03-08-2001, 07:13 PM
HI TK,
Thanks for the info...Whick fiber supplement do u take?

Harry
03-11-2001, 06:27 PM
Hi elisa,
TK does not visit this site too much since she got a new job.I guess too busy. But,some months ago on the old board she said that she was taking psyllium husk capsule form that contained acidophilus from the Vitamin Shoppe. It is 880mgs and contains no sugar just pure psyllium. My wife takes the same kind --3 daily. 2 in the am with breakfast and one with the evening meal. Just make sure you drink alot of water.
God Bless----Harry

Vincent
03-22-2001, 10:00 PM
Eating Altoids Peppermint candies sometimes helps with the bad stomach pains that I get that are associated with IBS. Give them a try.

TK
03-23-2001, 05:33 PM
Hi Elisa,
Harry is right about the kind of fiber I take. I like it much better than others I've tried. THe amount of psyllium varies w/ different brands of capsules -- I used to take one that I had to take four to five capsules a day to get it to work for me, but with this, all I take are two capsules daily. Again, this will vary by person as well.
Sorry it takes me so long to get back -- I'm starting to adjust to my new work schedule so I should be checking in more often. Hope all is going well for you.
SMILE
TK

Train
03-25-2001, 10:22 AM
I have used peppermint oil for a year now with no effects, other than improvement. Combined with grapeseed extract I am completely free of symptoms EXCEPT when I drink too much coffee. (More than two cups a day is too much.) I have also given up all carbonated beverages and acidy drinks like orange juice. But I have also stopped fiber intake except for high fiber cereals and breads. It's a wonder; after all those years to be "normal" again.
Example: I can go out and eat a meal without having to run to the toilet during or immediately after the meal. YMMV.
Good luck to all.

elisa
03-31-2001, 02:36 PM
Does anyone know of peppermint oil caps without gelatin?

Harry
04-02-2001, 12:25 PM
Hi,
The only one I have ever used is Peppermint Plus put out by Enzymatic Therapy and they are gelatin capsules.As you know to be effective the oil has to get through your stomach before it dissolves. I don't know of any method that could be enteric-coated except gelatin.I will look in my catalogs.
God Bless----Harry

elisa
04-02-2001, 05:26 PM
Thanks for helping Harry.