PDA

View Full Version : Gas Help!!! Please :(

OkeeDokee
06-12-2001, 11:56 PM
I have IBS and I am fairly young. My main symptom is gas at all times. I've tried all over the counter gas medicines (gasx and phazyme) and none have worked and anti-spasmodics seem to work miracles for a little bit and then lose their effectiveness completely after a month or so. Is there any treatment for this horrible symptom that does not require a prescription? Please help, thanks.

Christopher74
06-13-2001, 04:51 AM
I myself have gas problems as well. I have found that sugar gives me gas. Lower sugar means lower gas for me. I still have "D" symptoms when I slip up, but hardly any gas. Sometimes the gas was so bad I would sit on the toilet for an hour just to relieve it. After lowering the ammount of sugar I take in I rarely have gas problems. Totally not drinkijng Cokes has cut my sugar intake more than a half.

I myself have also taken anti gas medications. Some would work for a week and then have no effect at all. The "purple pill" did reduce my gas considerably, but not completely so I stopped taking it in belief I needed to change my lifestyle. Don't want to just cover up something, I want a cure.

woollis2
06-13-2001, 08:31 AM
like you guys, i have gas problems as well. it seems like i'm bloated and gassy all the time and i feel about 100 pounds bigger than i actually am. i found that if i don't eat for a while (like in the morning) and i get extremely hungry, i get gassy on an empty stomach. i found that drinking pop like pepsi, dr. pepper, and coke also give me gas and make me feel bloated. sometimes after a meal (like high protein or carbos and sometimes tomatoes) give me gas. i take gasx and phazyme. it works sometimes. sometimes i feel like a gas machine. lol

kimberly

OkeeDokee
06-13-2001, 06:04 PM
Yeah, I get gassy sometimes when I have an empty stomach too. But what non-prescription remedy is there?

donnahc
06-13-2001, 06:33 PM
Seems like when I skip meals or eat later than usual I get really gassy. Guess what helps me? Quite by accident, I found something really great. Valium 5 mg. I was given valium for bad headaches last summer and one day I was really gassy, crampy, etc...and I decided to try a valium. Wonderful. Now whenever mine gets really bad I take one. My prescription of 30 has still lasted since last July, so I am not abusing them. I only take one if I have too. Also I find that if I lay on my back with my knees bent for about 20 minutes it helps. So again I withold the valium until nothing else has helped. The purple pill is good for a couple of weeks then they're useless. I never connected sugars. I will watch that. I have noticed soy sauce will make me gassy, and diet drinks especially. I am nauseated alot. I take pepcid ac several times a week. Are you ever nauseated?<p>[This message has been edited by donnahc (edited 06-13-2001).]

OkeeDokee
06-13-2001, 06:51 PM
I haven't really noticed that different foods make me gassier than others. I just get random gas. Sometimes its after I haven't eaten for a while and when I have an empty stomach and then after I eat it either stays the same or gets worse. Sometimes it comes a little after I eat. It's pretty unpredictable. Have you tried acidophilus? I heard it works well against gas. I would like a treatment that prevents gas instead of gets rid of it when it comes, like Valium does. I suggest you try Acidophilus. I plan on picking some up at GNC when the first tuesday of the month rolls around (20% off, hehe). Its like a suppliment and its not a medication, which is always a good thing. From what I hear, it works. It is a more natural way to treat gas from what I've heard. Does anyone have any more info on Acidophilus? Or any other non-prescription treatments such as Peppermint oil?

Christopher74
06-13-2001, 09:03 PM
I too get more gas when I haven't eaten. The worse part of this combined with IBS is I have to eat and then I get "D" if I do. If I don't eat I get gas buldges that make me really nervous and I get "D" anyway, but worse. It's a no win situation.

This is what makes my IBS tricky and I have to time things all the time in order to go do something with my life.

doctordeedge
06-15-2001, 08:24 AM
Give me a list of what you are eating, then I can help

patjack
06-23-2001, 03:51 PM
I had terrible gas and at times could not leave the house! I started on Acidophillus two years ago and it has been like a MIRACLE for me!! I take two gel caps in the morning and am fine all day! I get them in CVS or Walgrens, most drugstores! Hope this helps!

elisa
06-24-2001, 05:11 PM
PATJACK, Do you take the gelcaps with or without food.Which brand do you use?

JwhyS
06-25-2001, 02:36 PM
Elisa - She uses NatureMade or NatureBounty or something like that and you can find them at any Walgreens. She said that they're cheaper than the GNC brand, but in fact, they're slightly more expensive, but are also slightly more effective.

SLSV
06-25-2001, 02:56 PM
I take a Gas-X pill before I eat and it really seems to help with gas!
The company must love me. I stock up on it at Costco!

patjack
06-26-2001, 01:32 AM
Yes---I do use NatureMade or NatureBounty! I guess I feel they are cheaper since I always try to catch a sale! I take them in the morning on an empty stomach and I find they are VERY effective! Luck!

------------------

Trish

IBSinCT
06-29-2001, 11:17 AM
First a question... What is the 'purple pill'?? I've never heard of it, is it a secret or something?

I just got some charcoal tablets. I haven't started using them yet, so I don't know if they work. I'm told they are very good for gas though.