PDA

View Full Version : Elavil or Tofranil??

denltz
04-21-2001, 11:50 AM
Has anyone tried either of the above-mentioned antidepressants for diarrhea predominant IBS? Would like to hear of your good or bad experiences. Any side effects?

Ann S
04-21-2001, 09:41 PM
Denltz,
I've had D type IBS for about 30yrs. and have been on a low dose of Elavil (10-15mg.) for about 2 1/2 yrs. I experienced dry mouth and some grogginess in a.m. These side effects did go away after a while (can't remember how long it took). The really important thing to remember though is that it takes about 2 months before you notice a difference with the IBS. Did your Dr. also recommend fiber too? Mine did, but I was too afraid it would make the D and gas worse, so I didn't try it right away. About 9 months ago, my symptoms got worse and I found this board. It bolstered my courage to hear the testimonials here (Thanks Harry!), so I tried it. It really makes a difference. I use both now.
Hope this helps, Ann

Harry
03-28-2002, 06:24 AM
Some people need to read this.
The Mind --Gut Connection!!

Harry

Katie G
04-01-2002, 01:44 PM
Hi, all. I've been on Elavil for at least 5 years due to fibromyalgia/pain syndrome. I take one at night to help me sleep - the worst side effect I've had is feeling groggy at first when I get up. As far as controlling my IBS, like anything else, it works for awhile. I've also been taking calcium supplements (worked for about 3 weeks), increased fiber (worked about a month), and when the "D" returned, I went to my doctor and asked if he'd try me on Colestid. I've been taking 2 Colestid every a.m. for the last 2 months, and have not had any "D" since. I've also continued the calcium and fiber supplements, too. I had my gallbladder out 4 years ago, and since then my IBS worsened (I was diagnosed with IBS about 20 years ago). The "D" became pretty much uncontrollable after anti-reflux surgery, and that's when I started the calcium, added fiber, and now finally the Colestid. I don't know if it works for everyone, but for me, I don't have to worry so much about finding a bathroom in a hurry. Good luck.

Katie G