PDA

View Full Version : is caffeine bad for IBS-D?

teacher23
08-18-2001, 12:50 PM
I recently have been slowly improving with my D attacks. I started taking some new drugs which seem to help. However, today i had two pepsis with my meal and about twenty minutes later i had a severe spell of D, which i havent had one that bad for a while. I assume its from the caffeine- I hadnt been drinking caffeine products for quite some time. Today was the first time in about three weeks. Will caffeine cause a spell of D only twenty minutes after consuming it?

Teacher

Harry
08-18-2001, 07:57 PM
Hi,
All I know is several books about IBS say avoid caffeine and all carbonated beverages but it does not say what happens if you consume them. I guess diarrhea can be produced. It sure didn't help you ---sorry---It could be a trigger for you.

God Bless----Harry

Mike NoLomotil
08-24-2001, 02:41 PM
TEACH:

yes caffeine can cuase a reaction that fast or faster. D-types have an upregulated gastrocolonic reflex anyway, and caffeine and other xanthines are like throwing gasoline on a fire. Plus the carbonation can help dilate the blood vessles in the mucosa speeding absorption and thus accelerating everything even more. Its about one of the most aggrvating classes of chemical for d-types.

MNL

PS

I just saw you were from Westlake. I am a native Clevelander, raised on the east side (Bedford). Now is the time of year whe nortner Ohio is perfect to me. Wish I was there. Run up to Cedar Point for the weekend.<p>[This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 08-24-2001).]