PDA

View Full Version : Metamucil Crackers/cookies

angeline
12-14-2000, 09:48 AM
I bought these metamucil cracker things in order to produce a bm, has anyone ever tried these things? Do they work? I've been eating them (the correct dosage) for only a day, but so far nothing. I'm just wondering if they have the same effect as regular metamucil.

Let me know if you've ever had them!

------------------
Feel Free to Respond!

kdoubleu
12-15-2000, 04:18 PM
I used them for a while and found they worked fine for a fiber supplement. But I noticed I'd feel crankier in the morning when I took them. Since then I've found out I'm hypoglycemic, which means sugar really bothers me. Lo and behold, the metamucil crackers had a couple of forms of sugar in them. Now I just take phyllum caps and they work fine. But if you're okay with the sugar, I think the crackers will do the job.

angeline
12-16-2000, 08:27 AM
Hi kdoubleu! Anyways, I just wanted to post that these things work! If you ever find that just taking a supplement doesn't work, seriously, just try out these cookies! they produced a bm in just 2 days...and that's very quick when I just went a whole month with nothing.

------------------
Feel Free to Respond!

kdoubleu
12-18-2000, 02:38 PM
Angeline,

I just have to ask. Are you exaggerating when you say you went a whole month with nothing? I've had bouts of constipation, but never more than a few days.

Moon
12-19-2000, 09:52 PM
I have tried the cookies and the powder. I prefer the powder (artificially sweetened) it doesn't taste bad and I can drink it in seconds Vs. the cookies which you have to chew and chew.

The most important factor in these type of iniciatives is to take copious ammounts of water with your fiber. This, is the SECRET!

Try this: Drink two big glasses of water before you go to bed (make sure there are no obstacles on the way to the bathroom!) and drink two big glasses of water when you get up. Do this and I can almost bet it won't be much more than a couple of days before you get results.

It is my experience that metamucil, if taken today, will help todays food make it through easier. But if you got a load of portland cemment that has been sitting in your intestines for several days, your best bet is to use some type of combination therapy: Drink buckets of water and try some repeated enemas with warm water to soften the remains of that Thanksgiving feast left in you colon. Again, Drink water! not cokes, tea or milk etc. drink lots of water. Once the contents of your intestine soften they will come out.

If this is recurring problem, then you may need to revisit the food piramid and increase your fiber intake and decrease the foods that become petrified. ( I don't worry about it much, I take 1 1/2 tbs of metamucil in the morning and night and drink my two glasses of water. Can you see my smile?

angeline
12-21-2000, 09:19 AM
Actually, I was very serious...often I do go for a month (or longer) at a time without being able to go.

I really appreciate the humor, Moon, as well as the advice. I guess I like eating the cookies b/c they taste good as opposed to the liquid which makes me quiver! I also find it a lot harder to sit down and drink a glass of something than to grab the packet of cookies and take them with me to class or whereever I'm off to.

Okay, so not to get too personal, but I always have a *load of cement* blocking the way...I try to drink lots of water, I really do, but I'm guessing it's just not enough now. You drink two glasses in the morning and two at night along w/the dose of metamucil? Wow...I'm thinking that that's more water than I usually get in a few days...so maybe I need to up that and I won't be so *stuck* all the time.

I really do try to get enough fiber--those of you who know me know that I'm vegan dairy doesn't cause a problem, and I *gave up* chocolate and coffee.

Wondering...is coffee altogether bad or can I drink decaf? I'm dying going on about 4 months without it.

Thanks guys!

------------------
Feel Free to Respond!

kdoubleu
12-21-2000, 04:15 PM
Angeline,

I had no idea that IBS could make one so constipated. I hope you continue to find solutions that help improve your condition. Sounds like you're off to a good start.

I agree that more water may help. I started drinking more of it when I was in college because my doctor recommended it. I'd carry around a sippy bottle filled with it. Yes, you do have to time it so that you'll be near a bathroom as you're drinking, but you'll find over time that your body will adjust and you won't have to urinate as often. I now only drink water and think it helps keep my health problems from getting too out of hand.

Angie E
12-21-2000, 10:17 PM
Not drinking coffee can cause constipation. If your body is used to the caffeine, one of the withdrawal symptoms is constipation...Just a thought!

Harry
12-22-2000, 08:33 AM
Hi,
I just read these posts ---I can't believe that some people think constipation is normal.It has been linked with disorders ranging from CANCER to DIABETES and many --many other problems.Why do you think colon cancer is the #2 killer just following that of the lung.I assure you BMs sould be at least every 3 days or you are just flat constipated by all medical literature I've read.

Each of us controls to a great degree our health and BMs is only one area that YOU have TOTAL control. You want to see your life get totally screwed up ---just keep playing games with your GI health. There is enough in life that we have no control over such as celiac and crohn's that are/can be inherited by our genes But GEEZ Constipation----Come ON --Drink water and eat fiber.
HARRY

angeline
01-04-2001, 10:15 AM
Harry-
To your last comment, I have to say I'm a little insulted. It's true that constipation is more or less controllable, unlike a more serious condition, but I don't think that it makes it any less severe. I know from experience, years of experience, that constipation can ruin your life just because it ruins your mood. I was on vacation in Disney World last year and had just been put on a regimen of mineral oil and laxatives, and the feelings I had in my gut made me so uncomfortable that I couldn't function, I still couldn't go, and it was unpleasant for others to be around me. Constipation can be laughed at or whatever, but I still say it's horrible and it's not totally possible to control it. I drink plenty of water, eat right, and still, sometimes I'm backed up for weeks. I don't know what's wrong with me, doctors can't help, and right now I don't think your belittling comments are helping me either.

Just my opinion, thanks for reading.

------------------
Feel Free to Respond!

babesbarn
01-11-2001, 07:52 PM
You know I was reading all these posts and yours was the one I decided I would answer. I have watched my disabled husband (wheelchair bound) suffer with severe constipation because of medication he takes. He use to GO like clockwork for 60 years every day. Then he had arthritis and was taking VIOX. WEll that ruined it for him. He is now suffering from IBS and he suffers daily excruciating pain! He has had every test imaginable to rule out cancer/ tumors, etc. Stomach studies, cat scans, colonoscopy. Even a search for a bezoar because he was bringing UP undigested items! The doctors thought he was a hypochondriac. But I knew different. I took that VIOX for my own menstrual pain and I was blocked up for two weeks. The only thing that helped was a prescribed product..laxative called...MiraLax.

One Gastroendorolgist said to eat fiber. I said yeah, well how about getting what is in there out before you start backing more up. Too much fiber is not good. Watch out for the BRAN. Read the box. Could really start problems as it did for my husband also. He is afraid to go now. AFRAID! I found that soft music and a moist heating pad, Hot long baths and Valerian root calm him and sometimes it helps. Your lifestyle can well put constipation as a regular in your daily curriculum you know. Do you have stress? A stressful sitution or job? My husband is 63, in a wheelchair, cannot exercise, and still works at the computer to earn a living. Very stressful one hand pushing the other to draw. So as far as anyone at all saying eat fiber and lots of water...REALLY? How grand! Wish it would work if you took meds for your other problems. AS for me...I can go three times a day. NO problem.

angeline
01-12-2001, 02:19 PM
I just wanted to say that I'm so sorry for your husbands condition. It's sad that it had to sneak up on him like that. I wanted to mention that I too was put on MiraLax, but it didn't work for me--it made me extremely bloated and gassy. Bran is a form of insoluble fiber, the fiber that is "bad" if you're constipated all the time. Wheat is also another bad guy. Oatmeal, rice, pasta--those are good guys. Try those out with your husband and make sure he gets PLENTY of water, and the constipation might not seem so bad.

Moon
01-13-2001, 11:52 PM
Not being physically limited myself but having a family member that is parlysed on one side of the body (top to bottom) I know that constipation is big problem. And what comes after constipation is even worse.

We found there is little you can do to aid the intestinal contractions when the person is bed riden for moths and years. The best solucion we got was an enema on a regular basis and fiber. Once we used the enema to get the old out we made sure nothing went in without having plenty of fiber and a ton of water. This way way the new would always be soft and would help push the old out. But the person has never been able to get away from the enema completely. It seems that due to the fact that they are bed ridden and subject to anothers kindness to go to the bathroom or have to go in a bag or diaper, they resist the intake of water so they won't have to urinate, and they resist the intake of food so they don't have BM's, this way they feel they are imposing less on their caretakers. It's a vicious circle. No water and No go, equals harder more compacted stools.

Keep the water going and the fiber and at least you will know when he eventually goes normaly the fiber will work to keep it soft and moving.

Good luck.