PDA

View Full Version : colonoscopy questions

Unregistered
03-30-2001, 12:29 PM
I will be doing a colonoscopy next week and am hoping that somebody who's had the procedure could answer some of my questions.
Since I've been told that I'll be sedated, I take it that it's pretty serious.
1. Does that mean that they'll putting me into sleep? (as in completely out?)
2. Once I'm up, would I be able to go back to my regular activities? Or does it take a few days to get my strength back?
3. I've already been diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis. Is this procedure needed to see if I also have the Crohn's disease?

I would appreciate some replies, preferably by email.
Thanks.
byron

Angie E
03-30-2001, 08:21 PM
The colonoscopy is very simple. You have a sedative, but it's not a general anesthetic. It's called twilight, but I didn't remember a thing. About 20 minutes after your procedure, you'll come to and they will allow you to go home. You'll want to sleep the rest of the day. In the evening, you'll be back to normal. The day before is the hardest, when you take the laxative. A word of advice...put a little vaseline or some sort of lubricant on your anus...it will get chapped during the laxative phase. I like to call this the "Jalepeno Hiney". But really, the colonoscopy is great. Now, the barium enema for a lower GI series is a whole other story. If you have had one of those, a colonoscopy is a piece of cake! Good luck!

Vincent
04-03-2001, 05:29 AM
The prep the night before is the toughest part of the colonoscopy. When you are drinking the prep to clean you out, it has a very nasty salty taste. To make it go down easier and make it a little "nicer" on the taste buds, keep a package of chewing gum nearby. When it is time for you to drink a glass of the stuff, put a piece of chewing gum in your mouth and chew it for a few seconds and then drink the preparation. Your taste buds will be filled with the chewing gum flavor and the preparation will go down without you gagging. Use a fresh piece of chewing gum for each glass of prep you have to drink. I use Cinnaburst.

You will probably be given "versed" and "demerol". The entire procedure of the doc looking takes between 5-8 minutes. When you wake up, you will be in the recovery room, they will give you a muffin/juice, once you urinate, you'll be on your way home. You'll feel groggy for the rest of the day and the next day, a little "fuzzy headed", but you'll be able to return to your normal activities.

Good luck.<p>[This message has been edited by Vincent (edited 04-03-2001).]