PDA

View Full Version : mebeverine hydrochloride

Paul1957uk
09-04-2002, 07:29 AM
Doctors put me on this for IBS pains/spasms. Anyone know anything about it?
Thanks
Paul

Unregistered
09-04-2002, 05:34 PM
Hi,

This drug is commonly known as Colofac in the UK and I think that it is true to say that these types of drugs are more commonly used in England than in the States for IBS.

Anyway, Colofac works on the smooth muscle tissue of the bowel, the same muscles that are involved in peristalis, which is what is not working as well as it should in IBS, which is why you have the stomach cramps. You should take 3 times daily and perferably 20 mins before meals if you can, as it should help take away any cramps before you eat, so helping the peristaltic action to function well to aid digestion.

Other similar drugs for this purpose are Spasmanol and Colpermin that also contains peppermint, as this is generally good for stomach pain.

Colofac can have headache and dizziness as a side effect however, but it does not affect everyone like this.

I was given this by my doc when I first had stomach problems and it worked very well for me for a short period of time. I had to stop taking it though, as I suffered from the side effects. I now control my stomach problems using alternative remedies.