PDA

View Full Version : IBS-C and weight gain

Calamity
10-11-2002, 10:33 AM
While I have suffered bouts of IBS-C for several years, this is the first time I have experienced the horribly disdended stomach (look like I am carrying triplets) daily, for about 10 months. The chronic constipation--I have lived with for years and can only have a bm with herbal diet tea. I have always consumed bottles of water daily and have tried a variety of fiber therapies. This bloating has literally made me a prisoner in my home. I am much to embarrassed to let anyone see me, and in fact, don't even own anything I would fit in to. To make matters worse, I have been consistently gaining weight even though I have been exercising vigorously and consuming on average 1000 calories or less for months. The weight gain is a major mystery, as I've never had bad eating habits--no snacks, junk food, fast food etc. I'm sure my doctor doesn't believe me when I relate my food consumption and exercise program, but it is absolutely the truth, and the stress of accumulating all this weight is adding to the stress which I am certain contributes to my IBS. Could the IBS have something to do with my inability to lose lbs. and my constant addition of lbs? I am taking thyroid medication, but that hasn't helped anything I can see. Please help; I am at my wits end. I am living literally as a hermit.

dennie
10-11-2002, 08:25 PM
Hi Calamity

I believe I heard that if you consume too little calories, it can cause a plateau in your weight..or even cause you to gain some. If you're exercising vigorously and not getting enough calories..your system will go into 'starvation' mode..and burning of fat decreases...your body wants to retain the fat to combat what 'it' sees as starvation.

I've read many posts from IBS-C sufferers, and many have had great success in taking magnesium citrate when all else fails. Of course, you should check with your doctor before taking any OTC or prescribed medications. When was the last time your thyroid levels were checked? Have they had to be 'tweaked' in the past to get the correct response from your system?

Harry
10-11-2002, 10:45 PM
I think if tou buy 2 books---any of The Zone books and Protein Power and follow the basically adequate carbs / high protien diets you'll lose weight. But, I don't think that is your problem.

I think you need to make sure you get between 20 and 35 grams of fiber daily for your bowels to function properly ----I am a big believer in taking Metamucil daily or any psyllium husk product. It's water soluble, is bulk forming agent and safe--- not a laxative but a bowel regulator!!

If you're doing what you say with the water and excercise and have tried fiber ----then there got to be something going on that is making you bloated ---- I would say that the various friendly bacteria in your intestines and there are many kinds that are suppose to take care of many ----many digestive problems is just way out of balance making your intestines all the way for yor stomach to your anus just not working properly.

I suggest you Find a good probiotic supplement and start taking it , Flora Source, iFlora, PB-8 are good ones and of course there are others and eat a good brand of yogurt --Stonefield Farm is a good brand.

All meat and all dairy products have no fiber.
A person don't try fiber ----you take it daily but start off slow and take it----!! Increasing the dose until you get gentle BMs.

God Bless---Harry

legaldiva007
10-14-2002, 12:46 PM
Hello Harry, I am not overweight but my stomach STAYS bloated and looks like I'm ready to deliver twins. Almost everything I eat goes right through me. Do you think Acidophilus supplements would help this problem? If so, how much daily? Thank you. <p>[This message has been edited by legaldiva007 (edited 10-15-2002).]

Harry
10-14-2002, 02:19 PM
Hi Legal,
I think the major reason alot of people get bloated as well as have diarrhea is because the bacteria throughout their gastrointestinal track that is suppose to be friendly and do such things as help digest food, inhibit bad bacteria growth, kill all sorts of bad bacteria as well as viruses is just out of of balance--meaning the bad bacteria is in control.

This can happen for many--many reasons, such as alcohol, too much spicey food, food that kill good bacteria ---salt will do it ---it certainly cures ham and bacon as well as too much sugar--like sugar cured ham and no bacteria known grows in honey!! Pickeled food can pickle the good bacteia as well. And, of course there are all sorts of drugs that do in the needed friendly intestinal bacteria like antibiotics. ALL of these things have happened to me!!! The first time it happen I was young and drank too much.

Flora Source, iFlora probiotic supplements both contain 16 different active live cultures that you need. PB-8 contains 8.

Acidophilus is just one strain and a very important one because it culture helps colonizes your intestines if out of balance but there are also others that colonize. And, some do their job as they pass through.

I really don't know how much a person should take daily ----- but when you start taking the probiotic supplement -----you'll know if it is doing any good in a week or so. I take 3 different brands daily--5 capsules.

God Bless----Harry <p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 10-14-2002).]

legaldiva007
10-14-2002, 11:29 PM
Harry, thank you very much for the information. Where can I purchase the probiotic supplements? I called several health food stores and they don't carry them. Do you think the quality of the probiotics offered on the internet would be as good ?

Harry
10-15-2002, 01:12 PM
Legal,
Unfortunately there are not many well stocked health food stores where I live and they sure don't carry a complete line of Probiotic. So, I have had to order mine online. The discount on PB-8 is up to 50% off so it pays for the shipping.

I don't like to order them because you just never know how they are handled--- heat can destroy some of the cultures but I have seen some brands on health food store shelves that say refrigerate---so you really never know even if you buy them locally.

As you may know the vitamin/mineral and entire supplement industry is not controlled in anyway???
You just have to buy from a reliable manufacturer and hope they work.

Harry<p>[This message has been edited by Harry (edited 10-15-2002).]