PDA

View Full Version : How many of you tested for Hypercalcemia (PTH?

neufa
01-08-2002, 04:24 PM
10 years ago I was dx'ed with FM. Recently I realized that my FM/constipation/etc. may actually be due to the fact I'm hypercalcemic.
My PTH level is 18 (below 28 is considered non-parathyroid hypercalcemia when calcium is high, and my serum calcium is 9.8. My calcium tested 10.4 upon treadmill exercise.)
I suspect my hypercalcemia has been progressive since childhood (as has my jaundice been progressive).

I'm curious as to what percentage of people with FM/constipation/etc. have actually been tested for hypercalcemia?

Tonikl
01-14-2002, 12:21 PM
Did you see an Endocrinologist? According to my blood work 9.8 is in the right range 10.6 was the top of the range. I have a calium level of 10.7 (high) and a high PTH. I am due to see an Endocrinologist next month. My doctor believes it is my parathyroid since the PTH is also high.

neufa
01-14-2002, 11:52 PM
yes I saw an endo, & had my blood calcium checked twice.

The first time, it was 10.4 (after a gh stim. test. involving treadmill exercise.

The second time it was 9.8 (which is high) & PTH of 18. That means it's hypercalcemia, since 9.8 is definitely close to the high side. So THAT IN CONJUNCTION with an abnormally low PTH means hypercalcemia.

MINE IS NOT A PARATHYROID PROBLEM, RATHER A HYPERCALCEMIA PROBLEM. IT'S JUST THE PTH WHICH PROVIDES THE *CLUE* THAT IT'S HYPERCALCEMIA. HENCE THE PTH TEST.