PDA

View Full Version : Is this IBS????

bikerblue
09-25-2002, 03:29 PM
Hi. I've been fighting my symptoms for an awfully long time and feel I do have IBS. I have the cramping, diarrhea, bloating and all that. But what I am wondering is that about once a month I get these attacks in the middle of the night where I am so nauseated that I can hardly move my head, I have severe pain in my stomach and low back, and extreme diarrhea and vomiting until there is absolutely nothing left in me. It usually lasts for a good couple of hours and then resolves on its own. Does this sound like IBS? I am currently awaiting results back from my doctor from a bunch of tests that I did yesterday but am anxious to know the results. I just have never really read anywhere where the vomiting is a sign like that. Thank you!!!

Jamy9840
09-26-2002, 09:43 AM
I have IBS. I use fiber, like oatmeal to control it. If you have IBS, your tests will probably come out normal. Mine did. Yes, I get nauseated terribly when I get the "runs" and I've almost thrown up. Stress can cause diareeah with IBS, but you also have to eat fiber BUT NOT TOO MUCH FIBER. Sounds weird, but it strengthens the colon.

How did your tests come out???? Ask your Dr for a medication to help control the diareeah.

Jamy

dennie
09-26-2002, 09:42 PM
Hi Bikerblue

IBS can, but usually doesn't get people up in the middle of the night with the severe symptoms you mention. What type of tests were run? Did they mention checking for IBDs or Celiac Disease? I'm certainly not saying you have any need to worry about either of these... but all possibilities should be checked out to rule out any other possible cause(s) as many people have been incorrectly diagnosed with IBS. Your symptoms, and when they occur may have a bearing on what you're dealing with...whether its IBS or something different. Try to relax while waiting the test results..but don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand exactly what they're telling you.

Unregistered
09-27-2002, 03:29 AM
I have to say that these sorts of symptoms do sound more like an inflammatory bowel disease, either being colitis or diverticulitis, as sometimes the onset of symptoms is quite sudden and severe with the severe stomach cramps and explosive nature of the diarrhea. It is also possible to get vomiting with these too. You should not rule out the possiblity of food allergies/intolerances either, but possibly the frequency of your symptoms may rule this out.

It could be Crohns or Celiac Spru and as the previous poster said, it is worth mentioning these to your doc next time you see him. Although these can cause diarrhea and pain though, sometimes the onset may be more insidious and not that explosive in nature. Crohns tends to affect to small intestine rather than the large intestine and can cause a lot of stomach pain and malabsorption problems rather than explosive diarrhea.

If you did have inflammatory bowel disease, then your bloods may show a raised Sed Rate, which shows that inflammation is present and possibly a raised white cell count if you have some infection present.

In the meantime, you could try taking some Probiotic supplements which contain Lactobacillis and other good bacteria. It is likely that as you have had diarrhea and vomiting on a regular basis, that you have washed all the good bacteria out of your gut and these definitely need replacing. You gas should be better once you start taking these.

Also, consider taking some Magnesium supplement as these are very good for diearrhea. Diarrhea on a regular basis can deplete Magnesium in the body and it also helps the large bowel to absorb more water back, thus making your stools bulkier and avoiding diarrhea.

Hope this helps and good luck?

dennie
09-27-2002, 01:38 PM
Hello Sarah

I'm wondering, since you have a medical background, if you could clear up a question I have regarding the magnesium that you mentioned in the above post to bikerblue.

A lot of IBS-C sufferers take magnesium citrate(preferably) supplements to help them have easier to pass or more regular bowel movements. People with IBS-D have stated that anything other than a very minimal amount of magnesium will induce diarrhea for them..so they try to stay away from it.

Does magnesium have properties that can apply to both IBS-C AND IBS-D sufferers? Where it can pull water into the stool for those constipated(I'm just assuming this is how it helps those with IBS-C..because it certainly does help) and pull water out for those with diarrhea? Or is it the form of magnesium being used?

Thank you in advance for any light you can shed on these questions. I'm rather confused at this point.