PDA

View Full Version : Further down the road..

Sufferer
09-02-2002, 03:37 AM
After having had a colonoscopy in February, there weren't too many specific problems, so the dr said he thought I had spastic colon after having had a clear 'scope. Some 6 or 7 months down the road, more specific symptoms have come to light. Amongst these, I have noticed the following:-

* At times, I can feel my colon quiver, more along the left side than the right. At times I can hear gurgling in my colon and then have a lot of wind.
* I've developed an arthritis type pain at the top of my right elbow. If I clench a fist, it is hell on earth.
* Immediately over my pelvis, at the back, I get a burning type pain if I bend forward. (Left and right side). If I do an upper body twist, I can feel like a stretching pain on my left side.
* In the morning, I feel really cranky, and only after I've been up for a while, I start feeling better..

Something I remembered from my youth, is that I used to swim a lot. Invariably, even after eating nothing, I would still develop a stitch in my side. Are these all related ?

Does the above symptoms sound condusive with the symptoms of IBS ?

One last question to all the IBS sufferers... If you look at your tongue, is it coated with a white film, or is it a healthy red color ?

Thanks...

Unregistered
09-02-2002, 06:41 AM
Hi,

This does sound as if you have a lot of the symptoms of IBS. Do you also have pain in your lower belly as well as the gurgling and constipation/diarrhea?

Have you started taking any meds at all for this? You could start by adding Metamucil. This is a water soluble fiber supplement that can safely be taken twice a day. It will help to add bulk to your system. Also, for any bloating, start eating either live yogurt or Acidophilis caps. Keep them in the fridge, don't take with hot drinks as heat kills bacteria and take them on an empty stomach twice daily. They contain Lactobacillis, which will help re-colonise your gut with good bacteria.

Ensure you eat a good all round diet with plenty of fruit and veg and enough fluid.

According to Western medicine the colouring of your tongue does not really have a lot of significance, however, in terms of Chinese Medicine it does. If your tongue has a slightly white/yellow coating, it can indicate the presence of Cold and Damp. Is it also slightly swollen and is there a midline crack at all? Dampness in terms of TCM affects the Spleen and the Spleen is involved with a lot of IBS symptoms. IBS symptoms are mostly caused by Stagnant Liver Qi invading the Spleen and Spleen Qi Deficiency. Also, the fact that you have swum a lot in the past can cause Dampness too.

The fact that you have arthritis type pains, would correspond to sometihng called Bi Syndrome in Chinese Medicine, of which there are various different types.

Anyway, I hope this helps and might I suggest that acupuncture treatment could be very useful for you. It is very good for lots of stomach problems and also painful joints?

I have had it myself for stomach problems as well as neck and shoulder pain, back pain and sciatica and have greatly benefitted from it. I still have regular treatments.

Good luck

Sufferer
09-02-2002, 06:51 AM
Thanks for your reply. The only medication I am on at the moment, that seems to be making a difference, is a calcium supplement and wheat germ. I've been told to add Folic acid as well.

On the issue of the white tongue, I understand that this is a result of an overly acidic system and is also symptomatic of insufficient calcium (I have white patches on my fingernails). I now eat a lot of fruit and veggies, and the bulk of my protein is in the form of cooked chicken - not fried and no skin.

Unregistered
09-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Hi,

That is all good and yes, calcium deficiency shows up more as white patches on the finger nails rather than on the tongue. I have to say that I am still not convinced that Western Medicine really know that much about tongue diagnosis.

Anyway, good luck, but I would still advise you to start a course of acupuncture treatment for general well being.

Good luck

6th_sense
09-05-2002, 12:05 AM
Hi,

I'd just like to note that if you head to the official IBS website: (aboutibs.org), you will find an article that equates ibs and spastic colon.

Just thought i'd let you know.

Cheers, Raju.