PDA

View Full Version : How to treat a distended abdomen

krisyd
03-10-2001, 12:52 PM
Does anyone know what to do for major bloating causing a distended abdomen??? Have tried gas medicine, unsuccessfully. Trying to lose weight, but abdomen looks 6 months pregnant, and had baby 7 months ago. I lost 10 pounds on Atkins but abdomen is so large that i cant get away from stretch pants and wear jeans. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have been Dx. with IBS, however, the only complication I have noticed is if I drink milk, so far, and the bloating that I can't get rid of. Should I try a water pill? I worry about messing up my electrolytes though. Thanks for the advice!

kdoubleu
03-12-2001, 06:29 AM
I went for food allergy testing not long ago. Since I've gone off the foods I found out I am allergic to, I have not been nearly as bloated and gassy as I used to be. May be worth checking to see if you have any allergies.

Ann S
03-12-2001, 07:34 PM
Maybe this is something obvious that you already know, but.........becasue of the pregnancy, muscles are stretched and just losing weight won't change that. Once after my second pregnancy, I dieted & lost 20lbs. but my jeans didn't fit any better until I started exercising the stomach regularly.

If it is bloating though, there must be other trigger foods that you're still eating. Usually there are other symptoms that will accompany it. Ann

Angie E
03-12-2001, 07:47 PM
Give yourself a break...just remember, it took 9 - 10 months for your uterus to expand 1000 times its normal size. It's going to take a while for it to get back to normal. Nursing helped me, and my stomach is flatter, but it took at least two years. Remember, your ribcage has also expanded as well as your hips. Sometimes (I've read) that it take a woman's body 3 years to get back to normal after the birth of a baby. I believe it! My youngest is 6 and my ribcage is still bigger than it ever has been. And I'm pretty skinny on top, you can see my ribs. If it's bloating, I agree with everyone else, try to figure out what trigger foods might be setting you off. Foods that cause me to bloat are wheat products, potatoes, broccoli and lentils. Congratulations on the baby!
Angie E

Harry
03-12-2001, 10:12 PM
Gee-
I sure am glad ya'll write about this stuff because I flat don't know a thing!!!! Thanks Ladies---Harry

Angie E
03-13-2001, 12:10 PM
You can count on us Harry!
Angie E