PDA

View Full Version : Chronic Constipation

blc
10-03-2002, 02:51 PM
Hello, I have been suffering from chronic constipation for the past 10 months, this means that I use laxatives (Senokot & Laxoberal) in order to have a bowel, If I don't I dont get a bowel. My doctor suggests to use ZELMAC as a final resort cause I want to have a normal bowel without the use of laxatives. I am a male person, they said that only woman can use Zelmac or Zelnorm but I've seen some articles in the net that Zelnorm are both effective on female and male.

Can you give some information about this.

Harry
10-03-2002, 07:41 PM
Hi bic,
I know nothing about the drugs you mentioned but I'm a big believer in taking water soluble fiber like Metamucil. It's both safe and it works for most people. You just have to make sure to drink enough water daily.
IT is not a laxative but a natural fiber bulk stool forming agent that is a bowel regulator!!!

Harry

dennie
10-04-2002, 10:30 AM
Hi blc

If you've only been suffering this severe constipation for 10 months, I assume this is a radical change in your BMs pattern..is that right? Without trying to pry, about what age group are you in?

What tests have your doctor(s) run, if any, since there are so many reasons (including structural abnormalities) that could cause the constipation.

Do you have the urge to have a BM, but nothing comes of it...or do you not have any feeling of needing to go at all? I keep finding posts by people who not only cannot go, but don't even feel the physical 'urge' to go, and must resort to manually helping themselves defecate. Hopefully this is not your situation.

As far as Zelnorm...I know very little about it since constipation is not my problem. Doing a search on the internet, or checking at a site such as medscape(in the gastroenterology section..you have to register first to use it, I believe) may be of interest to you.

Unregistered
10-05-2002, 10:31 AM
I have done some reading on Zelnorm and it does say that it should only be used in women and not men and only if you have constipation and never diarrhea.

As well as taking Metamucil and taking plenty of fluids, at least 2 to 3 litres daily to help wash your system through, try adding Sodium Docusate. This is a stool softener to help you pass softer stools. Also, consider adding prune juice to your daily regime. This never fails.

You also need to eat plenty of fruit and veg and take enough exercise. If you are really unable to have a BM, then use a glycerinne suppository and then if this does not work, then a baking soda enema.

It sounds like you need to re-train your bowels after having taken laxatives. After breakfast, go and sit on the toilet for no more than ten mins and try to have a BM. If you can't then don't worry. The more you keep doing that, then the better your bowels will be.

Has your doc taken blood tests and done a scan/examination of your stomach to ensure that everything is ok? If not, then you need to have this done.

Unregistered
10-05-2002, 11:23 AM
Zelnorm is for the short-term relief of IBS in women with constipation, stomach pain and bloating. It is contraindicated in IBS with diarrhea.

It is only for women because its safety and effectiveness have not been proved in men.

blc
10-07-2002, 07:36 AM
Hello,

Sorry for the late reply, The tests that have been given to me are colonoscopy which is normal, no polyps,
then a series of small intestine x-rays also normal. And a blood test for T3, T4 and Tsh I think for the thyroid, also normal.

About using fiber supplements I've been using them (Fibrosine) 5mg packs 2 to 3 times a day and I've been eating a lot of vegetables and no red meat but it seems to have been no effect.

I just wanted to have a bowel movement for 3 days but this doesn't happen and I still don't have a bowel movement for 5 days or more and I get total discomfort so Im forced to use laxatives, I take Senokot.

So my doctor said to me to wait for the arrival of Zelmac (Zelnorm) here in the Philippines because it might be a solution to increase my colon's motility. I've read some tests that even though Zelnorm is only for women, men also sometimes get positive tests of the drug so I'm taking the risk. I just wanted to have a bowel movement after 3 days.
<p>[This message has been edited by blc (edited 10-07-2002).]

Unregistered
10-08-2002, 04:54 AM
Do you drink plenty of fluid? You need to drink at least 2 to 3 litres daily.

Are you taking Metamucil? This is a water soluble fiber supplement to help your bowels. Are you taking Sodium Docusate to soften your stools?

Add prune juice to your diet. This never fails.

If you do not have a bowel movement, then do not take laxatives, use glycerine suppositories instead.

If you still can't open your bowels, then use a baking soda enema.

Also, you need to re-train your bowels after taking so many laxatives. If you take them on a regular basis, you can become so reliant on them that you can't have a bowel movement without them.