PDA

View Full Version : Is it IBS? Bloating, Pain around navel, floating stools

mitch66
05-27-2001, 04:37 PM
My Doctor is unable to find any thing wrong with me and has said he thinks I have IBS. I have severe bloating(I look like I am 9 months pregnant). I also have a sore, tender and painful to the touch area around my belly button. It is sore 24 hours a day for several years now. I also have narrow stools that float 98% of the time. Symptoms don't seem to be associated with food. I can start bloating in the morning before I eat anything. I am not convienced that it is IBS. Does anyone have any ideas.

[This message has been edited by mitch66 (edited 05-27-2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by mitch66 (edited 05-27-2001).]

russ60
05-28-2001, 06:27 PM
mitch66,
diagnosis of IBS is a matter of elimination. There is no test that say you have it or you don't.It seems to be a catch all diagnosis for most gastro things they don't know what to name.

As suggested alot on this board Harry thinks you should take Metamucil --a water soluble fiber.Maybe you should read some of his messages. At least it should make your stool normal. But, it's going to cause gas so maybe you should use Citrucel---it is water soluble also and little or no GAS.

I don't have any idea about the bloating but if you get your BMs ok maybe the bloating will go away.
Hope you get well.
Russ

Unregistered
06-03-2001, 06:51 AM
Do you consume dairy products? Maybe you're lactose intolerant?

Rockette
06-06-2001, 01:04 PM
Hi! I have similiar problem to yours. I do bloat alot but not as severely as you describe and no pain at belly button. More like to the right sometimes. As far as the floaters are concerned I found that cutting down on meat,no beer and avoiding whole milk, American and cottage cheese are ok though helps very much. As far as the narrow stools are concerned have you been checked for hemorroids or rectal hernia? I have both which make it hard for me to go. I got the rectal hernia from having a 9lb 1oz baby. The doctor thought I wasn't "big" enough to be carrying such a big one. Such a dope! Made me deliver vaginally. I suppose it didn't help that I had her on a Sunday either. I'm not having it fixed because it seems that across the net everyone says the same thing that my family doctor says, it'll just make it worse. I didn't have IBS until I had her. Wonder if all that Pitocin they gave me had anything to do with it. I found that when it gets too bad to use Metamucil for a few days then stop or I blow up. Citrucil does absolutely nothing.