PDA

View Full Version : Flexible Sigmoidoscopy . . . what's it like?

Alexandra
04-10-2001, 07:34 PM
Hi. After a month of almost daily diarrhea and abdominal pain after eating, my doctor has set up a flexible sigmoidoscopy. Needless to say, I am anxious about this procedure and would like to hear some personal experiences with this exam. Please let me know the good, bad, or even the ugly! What can I expect the night before and during the procedure? Thanks!

Alexandra

kdoubleu
04-11-2001, 07:13 AM
Well the prep is unpleasant (2 enemas before) but not terrible. The sig is uncomfortable, but quick. So overall, it's not all that bad. And the relief of knowing what's going on afterwards makes it all worth it. Good luck.

JanieB
04-11-2001, 04:25 PM
Dear Alexandra,
You will find it over and done with really quickly, you can have a sedative and you wont know its been done, the enemas are the worse part, they dont hurt they just make you go to the toilet quickly...you soon forget...The sigmoid exam only takes about 20 mins and they normally tell you if theres any imflamation present...
As k for the sedative as you will sleep and be more relaxed...They pump a little air into you to see better, so without the sedative you may be a little uncomfortable..
It is a quick and easy proceedure, I was really worried and I dont know why, I think I was more worried at what they might find....Which was a few piles, and that I had no malignancies... I wish you all the best, let us know how you get on...
Love Janie xxxx

angeline
04-12-2001, 04:36 PM
I was more nervous before the procedure than I should have been, that's for sure. Beforehand, the enemas are just, well, enemas. Since you have D you probably don't use them often but as a C sufferer I was used to them. I was scared when I saw the diameter of the scope that the dr was going to use, I freaked out b/c I was alone in the room to undress and I saw the machine!! I started to get upset, but then I just told myself that I had to be strong and that I could do this...after all I do want to get better.

The doc came in and had me lie on my side and he told me he was starting. It didn't hurt at first, just a little uncomfortable. I thought to myself, "I can handle this...it's not that bad," and it was true. The nurse was really nice, she held my hand. He pumped a little air in and that was sort of painful, it felt like bad gas cramps, but as he moved the scope in further, I was feeling it. I squeezed the nurses hand so hard! I won't lie, it's painful for about 3-5 seconds, but that's all it takes. As soon as I motioned that it was hurting, he pulled it back out a little and made sure I was okay before moving it back in. It wasn't that bad.

It's very quick, like kdoubleu said, and it's worth it to know what's going on inside you! Don't be too nervous, it's not that bad!

gc52
04-13-2001, 08:09 AM
I had this procedure done years ago and I have to admit it was a bit painful...but...I failed to ask for the sedative...which would have been much better...so be sure to ask for it and take it before going for the test..I agree the night before is probably the worse....good luck....Gayle