PDA

View Full Version : Bentyl

katie74
05-15-2001, 01:20 AM
I've had IBS for about ten years now and it gets better then gets worse. Lately it has gotten worse for no explainable reason. I just got a rx for Bentyl. Any advice is it a safe med? I have to wonder the last rx I got was for Lotrenex and we all know what happened with that- it didn't help me anyway!any comments would be appreceiated. I am attemping to get more relegious with the fiber (citrucell) before I take any bentyl. Thanks katie

Angie E
05-15-2001, 07:44 AM
Be very careful with Bentyl. I ended up in the emergency room after taking it because it worked to well. It shut everything down! My perscription was one pill three times a day or as needed. I took it three times a day and ended up with a severe sharp pain on my left side every time I took it. It works for many many people. I'm not saying that it is a bad drug. Just be careful and keep track of your bowel movements. If you quit having them all together, talk to your dr.
Angie E

katie74
05-24-2001, 05:08 AM
Thanks for the warning. the doctor told me to take it as needed but prescription says before meals and at bedtime. Is it neccesary to take before an attack? The bedtime idea sounds good. It really affects my sleep sometimes. Some nights I spend more time in the bathrom than in bed. Is it helpful after symptoms start? Can I take immodium with it? thanks!

Angie E
05-24-2001, 07:01 AM
I would NOT take Imodium with it. I think taking it at night would be a good idea. It had a tendency to make me sleepy anyway. I personally would just take it before meals, that way it would be in your system right before you eat. Would make eating out much easier. I wouldn't take it more than three times a day. What dr.'s don't understand, when they say "as needed" IBS'ers need it just about every hour! That's how I ended up in the hospital. I didn't take it every hour of course. The way I feel about Bentyl and Imodium is that it just stops the symptoms temporarily and doesn't really get to the root of the problem, such as food allergies. I lived on Imodium for a while and it just made things worse in the long run. It didn't stop my diarrhea, it just postponed it. And then, it was worse than ever. I usually take it along on car trips, because sometimes, you just can't stop it. Good luck and let us know how it works for you!
Angie E

tracidear
05-25-2001, 08:23 AM
Hello!

I too use to take bentyl for a while then it started to not work any more! The doctors tell me that i have ibs and that bentyl is suppose to work but they are finding it hard to prescribe me something that works and will beek working!! Its very irritating!
It too use to make me sick all the time!
Traci<p>[this message has been edited by tracidear (edited 05-25-2001).]

Scoobs
05-28-2001, 10:32 PM
Bentyl has been like a miracle to me...I must say it has done a wonderful job of preventing the wild pains and spasms...without any side effects...I take 20mg 3 x a day...