PDA

View Full Version : Just found out I have IBS..

RebeccaP
10-10-2002, 09:12 AM
I just found out I have IBS.
I have been ill with diarrhea for 4 months
I have had every test in the world and nothing
This is driving me nuts
After having a colonoscopy I have now been having
constipation and diarrhea
I am in pain every day I am so tired I can not get off the couch
Why did this happen to me?....ahhhh

Rebecca

Unregistered
10-10-2002, 09:58 AM
You are not alone with IBS. Lots of people have it and yes, it can be debilitating and very painful at times, but it is manageable.

If you have not already started Metamucil, then do so. It is a water soluble fiber supplement that can be used for constipation or diarrhea and will bulk your stools safely. Take it twice daily, but make sure that you drink plenty of water with it.

Start taking a Probiotic supplement to re-balance your gut flora. Constant diarrhea for 4 months will have wiped out the good bacteria in your gut (Lactobacillis) and you need to replace these. Take them twice daily on an empty stomach. Keep them in the fridge and don't take them with hot drinks, as heat kills bacteria.

Ensure that you eat a healthy and balanced diet that includes plenty of fruit and veg and complex carbohydrates such as rice. This will also help to bind your stools together and give you formed BM's. Also ensure that you are drinking plenty of fluids - up to 2 to 3 litres daily is recommended.

If you are an anxious sort of person, then try some relaxation exercises such as Yoga or some Qi Gong meditation that allows deep breathing. This helps reduce stress which plays a large part in IBS due to the mind/gut link.

Also, I don't know whether you have found that certain foods such as wheat and dairy products make your stomach worse? If so, try keeping a food diary and seeing if cutting out these particular foods help at all. It may also be worth getting some food allergy/intolerance tests done to see if you are allergic/intolerant to anything. A lot of people with IBS do find that some of their symptoms can be better or worse from eating particular foods, myself included.

Hopefully, once you start the Metamucil and Probiotics, your pain should be a lot more tolerable, but other ways of helping the pain are to put heat pads on your stomach. The warmth helps to relax the muscles and once the muscles are relaxed, the pain should go. Also, massaging/rubbing your stomach can also help a lot. Try putting some oil on such as lavender or something else on your stomach and then very gently but firmly massage all round your stomach in a clockwise direction. This can help relax all the muscles too and can also help to dissipate built up gas that can cause a lot of pain. After doing this for about 10 mins, follow it up by putting heat pads on your belly for about an hour and hopefully the pain should be gone after this.

Hope this helps?

RebeccaP
10-10-2002, 07:39 PM
Hi Thanks

Every thing I eat goes! (D) my list is so long right now that I can only drink juice and water!

The DR gave me MODULON to take it has been 4 day
and does not seem to help

I have fatigue and low blood presure, dizzy and headaches
I am not an anxious person
I could be sitting here watching TV and bam I am running to the bathroom and in there for 30mins!

I am a very healthy eater does not help!
Rice goes bye bye too!
I have not had dairy in 4 months
I can't seem to exercise because I get dizzy and can't realy stay awake
I do not really have any stress other then kids
but that is nothing new I have 3 ages 10, 8, & 5

Any help?
RP

Unregistered
10-11-2002, 03:47 AM
I have to say that I really do know how you feel when it comes to sitting on the toilet for 30 mins at a time. When my stomach was at its worst, I felt like I lived in the bathroom and regularly had to sit there for at least 30 mins and sometimes longer. I started taking a book with me in the end.

Anyway, go and buy some Metamucil or Phyllum Husk and take it twice daily. I have to say that 4 days is not long enough. I am not sure about the Modulon, but go and buy some Metamucil instead.

Also, please go and buy yourself some live yogurt or some Acidophilis caps, as I suggested before. This in conjunction with the Metamucil could really help to slow down your diarrhea. When you have diarrhea, your gut becomes depleted of all its good bacteria and with chronic diarrhea, it will be totally washed out and really needs to be replaced. Take them twice daily on an empty stomach and this could help with the gas, stomach bloating and pain. Once you have fresh bacteria there the diarrhea should slow.

Hope this helps? Do try it.

Sometimes drinking ginger, peppermint or chamomile tea can also help to soothe and settle your stomach too. Warmth of any kind is helpful for stomach pains.

dennie
10-11-2002, 07:37 AM
Hi RebeccaP

Has your doctor suggested having your thyroid levels checked? Low energy, fatigue, etc. could possibly be symptoms..also the loose stools.

It can't be easy dealing with low energy and 3 kids at the same time. Has your sleeping pattern changed much?

Unregistered
10-11-2002, 09:41 AM
That is a good idea to get your thyroid checked too. However, fatigue and low energy are most likely to be due to an underfunctioning thyroid gland and with underfunction, constipation is more likely than diarrhea, due to the sluggishness of the whole body.

I think the fatigue is more likely to be due to a low blood sugar, due to not being able to eat because of the constant diarrhea which is making all the solid food pass straight through.

Get some Metamucil and Acidophilis caps and try to stop the diarrhea. Once this has stopped and you can once again eat solid food, you should start to feel better.

dennie
10-11-2002, 10:26 AM
Hi Sarah

That's true if it would end up being hypothyroidism..more than likely constipation would be a symptom. Of couse, if IBS was factored in..then who knows. There are many people that have both hypothyroid problems AND IBS...what a combination!. Hyperthyroidism (overactive) would most likely also affect digestion (and account for loose stools)fatigue, nervousness. Apathetic Hyperthyroidism has symptoms of being tired, lethargic, depressed and most likely weight gain. And some women don't have problems with their thyroids until during or after a pregnancy...that's what caught my eye in the beginning of Rebeccas post, I guess. So many people have had their thyroid levels checked, and the tests come back borderline..and no medication is given at first. Some have pushed to be tried on the medication, regardless of the lab readings, and found their symptoms improved. Problems with your thyroid are sometimes difficult to catch..and to treat.

Of course, Rebecca didn't list any symptoms other than digestive ones, headaches and fatigue....so going down the thyroid 'path' is only a stab in the dark. There are so many possible reasons for the way she is feeling...this was just another suggestion. Too many women (and men) go untested because symptoms can be so vague for some of them..and Drs. don't always think to check for thyroid problems early on.

Rebecca...just out of curiosity, you mentioned your problems began four months ago? You were completely symptom free before that? Do you remember any bout with a 'stomach' bug, or tainted food? My IBS started shortly after my second pregnancy..but I also believe I ingested undercooked meat at one point. I belched for 2 weeks straight, and when the belching stopped, then the diarrhea started and the rest is history. Before this...I had no health problems whatsoever...it seemingly came out of the blue.

Unregistered
10-11-2002, 06:10 PM
Hi Dennie,

That is a fair point and yes, who knows what happens when IBS comes into the frame.

I'm sorry to hear about your problems and it is interesting about the undercooked meat. When I went to my doctor in August this year with a stomach infection, he immediately gave me antibiotics and told me that we needed to get on top of the infection or there was a large liklihood of IBS developing. I have since found that I have lots of food allergies/intolerances that have been giving me a bad stomach and since cutting these out, including dairy - lactose intolerance, I have found that my stomach has been a lot better.

I also think that you are right in what you say about thyroid problems being underdiagnosed. When I worked on the wards in England, a colleague was quite overweight for some months and spent a lot of this time feeling quite unwell. She went to see her doc and third time lucky he tested her thyroid function and found that it was underactive. Once she was put on thyroxine tabs, she started to feel a lot better and the weight just fell off her. She turned out to have a great figure under all that and I was dead jelous.

Take care

RebeccaP
10-13-2002, 07:44 AM
Hi I have had
bloodtest
ultrasounds
x-rays
colonoscopy
upper & lower GI

all my test come back normal

my thyroid test came back fine so
the Dr did a throat ultrasound just to make
sure

MODULON/TRIMEBUTINE 200mg: this medicine is an antispasmodic used to treat IBS (spastic colon)

jasmine30
10-13-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi Rebecca,
You mentioned you had severe Diarrhea for 4 mths...This would drain anyone!(no pun intended).Im sure you drink plenty of liquids and eat nutritiously(sp),yet constant Dirrhea can make a person Dehydrated.Im certain Dehydration can lower blood pressure and make one dizzy.It would be something to talk with your doctor about..Hope you get on the road to recovery soon..

Unregistered
10-13-2002, 04:12 PM
I want to reiterate what the last poster said about fluid intake and dehydration. Make sure that you drink plenty of water, at least 2 to 3 litres of water daily. If you get dehydrated, then your blood pressure can fall and that can make you feel dizzy. Also, the fact that you are not managing to eat proper food can make you feel weak, as your blood sugar will be low.

Please, please go out and buy some Metamucil. It is a water soluble fiber therapy. Take it twice daily and this will help to bind your stools and stop you having diarrhea. Also, increase your intake of complex carbohydrates, such as potatoe and rice. These are also good for binding your stools and stopping diarrhea.

Also, start taking a Probiotic supplement which contains Lactobacillis and other gut friendly bacteria. If you have been having diarrhea for 4 months, then your gut will be cleared of this bacteria and you really need to replace it. Take it twice daily on an empty stomach.

Carry on with the Modulon and you might that it works better once you have started the Metamucil. Once your bowel is regulated with the fiber, the pain may be less anyway.