PDA

View Full Version : Hair Straightening Question

eddysmom1
11-07-2010, 04:29 AM
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering, does anyone know of any products I should be using to prevent drying out my hair to straightening?

I just started straightening, so now damage yet, but I want to prevent it from happening.

Thanks in advance..

:wave:

Misssty
11-07-2010, 03:09 PM
I found a great product recently...Its been on the market forever...its the olive oil hair sheen...Its in a big green hair spray looking bottle. KERATIN is also great for your hair...If you have about 150 dollars a KERATIN treatment at the hair salon will last for about 4-5 months...It makes your hair Straight, shiny, etc...less blow drying and straightening..but alot of people can't afford it. Also, the Tresmee...shine spray..its an oily texture in a spray bottle. NOTHING That makes your hair "wet"...anything that makes your hair wet will burn when you use the straightening irons. Helpful to look for products that are specifically used with straightening irons...in the shampoo and conditioner isles at the Drug stores.

eddysmom1
11-07-2010, 03:26 PM
Do you get the olive oil hair sheen at a CVS, Walgreens, or do you have to buy it at a beauty supply store?

I've heard about the Keratin treatments, but my hair is real long and thick and they'd probably charge me more the $150.00. Plus, I think I'll just straighten a few times a week because I like my natural hair, too.

Thanks so much for the tips. I need them!!

:)

Misssty
11-07-2010, 04:45 PM
The KERATIN depends on the hair salon...I went to one hair salon and the lady charged me 250...one time...200 the next. I found a salon where he charges 150 for ALL and it doesn't matter about length or thickness (which tells me, they make a killing on the stuff). You could find one if you searched. Its SO worth it....But, yes, I got the Olive Oil sheen at Rite Aide (like a CVS). Its in the section where they sell the hair products for "dark" people. What I do is...dry my hair somewhat...with the blowdryer (so its not sopping wet)....about 1/2 way thru my drying cycle.....I spray a fine quick spray all over and then continue blowing...it does come out so soft...and accepts the straightening iron much better. Prior to using this stuff...my hair would be like HAY after blowdrying and it would singe when using the straightening iron....Then you could also get those Deep Conditioners...Like Aussie 5 minute miracle....thats good stuff too...and remember the tubes of hot oil? You could get one of them a month. I think you wet your hair...and then put it in for like 5 minutes and rinse....

eddysmom1
11-07-2010, 04:52 PM
Sounds good, I'll go to Rite-Aid and get the Olive Oil Sheen.
My sister just bought me the In-Styler and I am getting it this week--I'm dying to try it.

She just started straightening her hair too, so she needs this advice, as well.

Thanks so much!

:)

Misssty
11-07-2010, 05:29 PM
Let me know how it works for you....don't spray too much on....do it when its half dry....It depends on your hair type if you will like it...my natural hair type is coarse and curly...not tight curls..just a little bit frizzy...Its been pretty soft since i've used that stuff....and it seems that my hair is growing VERY fast....my boyfriend even said the other day..your hair grows fast!
I never really noticed it growing fast before.

eddysmom1
11-08-2010, 03:45 AM
I have the exact hair type as you have--just what you described. Always looking for a way to get rid of the frizz.

I will get some of that product this week, hopefully & let you know how I make out.

Thanks!! :)

marhon
11-08-2010, 03:51 AM
Hi Eddismom1
I have a hair salon and we always use a heat protection spray when we straighten also try not to take the straighteners through the same section to much a couple of times should be sufficient and when you wash it always but always use a good conditioner oh and do nt use them every day if you can help it

eddysmom1
11-08-2010, 08:37 AM
Thanks for the reply Marhon, I will buy a heat protection spray, too!!! :)

eddysmom1
11-16-2010, 02:27 PM
I bought some heat protection spray and I like it already--it seems to tame down the frizz, too.

I can't find the Olive Oil Sheen yet, but have bought some other leave in sprays to moisturize--Paul Mitchell and Chi products.

Thanks Everyone!

Misssty
11-16-2010, 05:30 PM
Chi products are good if they work for your hair type.
The Oil Sheen is in the isle where they have the hair stuff for dark skinned people.

eddysmom1
11-17-2010, 03:06 AM
I am very interested in picking the Oil Sheen up--awhile ago someone gave me something to try that was for harder hair types to manage and it worked. I think it is even the same line as the Oil Sheen. She works in my building and I keep meaning to ask her.