PDA

View Full Version : SCALP is very very dry and hurts --- HELP

sjogrenswoman
11-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I was diagnosed with primary sjogrenswoman - I am on Plaquenil

the problem is my scalp!! It hurts/hurts/hurts itches, etc.. nothing seems to

work or help. I have been to (5) dermatologists, one told me I had Psorisis, one gave me steriod shot that helped only for one month, all gave me various shampoos/scalp oils etc. nothing is working.

BUT THE DRYNESS IN MYSCALP is unbearable. Help anyone ?

sarahsjogrens
09-24-2011, 04:14 AM
Hi there, I have primary sjogrens and have a dry itchy scalp too, I use a tar based solution just from the chemist and it eases the itching a bit but not completely, my biggest advice is dont wash youre hair too often, as that just brings out the oils more, and also even though its really hard, try not to itch it!!! as that makes it miles worse, mines worse right at the front in the middle, and if i itch it its very visable to see, so ive just tried not to for a week and its got better, the tar based shampoo stings on the areas i had itched as the skin had broken, but overall it seems much better. Hope this helps in some way and it eases up for you.
Sarah

shortypop
10-27-2011, 01:02 AM
Ihave sjogrens and psorisis and find fish oil tablets control dry scalp and other areas of dryness. I ran out of them the other week and within 4 or 5 days my scalp was so dry and itchy it was driving me nuts, so for me they really work well.

Constare
11-03-2011, 07:45 AM
My scalp doesn't itch that much, but I have suddenly become tender headed. I have never had a problem until a couple of months before my dx. I didn't conect the two, but I guess they are related.

bluelakelady
11-07-2011, 08:29 AM
hi,
i shave my head bald and use a topical steroid. if i let my hair grow a bit it starts bothering me again. it also hides the fact that i have lost more than half my hair, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sedona81
07-21-2016, 03:03 PM
Hi there, I have primary sjogrens and have a dry itchy scalp too, I use a tar based solution just from the chemist and it eases the itching a bit but not completely, my biggest advice is dont wash youre hair too often, as that just brings out the oils more, and also even though its really hard, try not to itch it!!! as that makes it miles worse, mines worse right at the front in the middle, and if i itch it its very visable to see, so ive just tried not to for a week and its got better, the tar based shampoo stings on the areas i had itched as the skin had broken, but overall it seems much better. Hope this helps in some way and it eases up for you.
Sarah

I have tried both minimal washing and washing daily.. I found it actually is more tender, is itchy and gets sores when you don't wash it ...

The biggest thing that eased my scalp pain, itching and sores, was LDN.... It's for autoimmune diseases and is an amazing drug

maiyen
09-19-2016, 08:30 AM
I'm like Sedona81, even though my hair gets greasy very quickly, I find that when I wash it less frequently it actually feels more itchy/painful.

I've tried multiple shampoos for dandruff, seborrheic dermatitis and dry scalp, but none of them really make a difference. What helps the best is to rub a few drops of something like jojoba or coconut oil combined with a little bit of tea tree oil. It really doesn't make my hair look any oilier either so that's a bonus (I use 4-6 drops and rub all over my scalp).

dove062476
09-22-2016, 11:37 PM
olive oil treatment. Then use baking soda water shampoo mix (homemade) and vinegar rinse with jojoba or tea tree oil. your hair is going to feel weird at first but after a week or so it starts to look and feel normal and your scalp will love you for it. Your scalp will feel so much better. Use a clarifier shampoo once a week.

ginadoll
09-23-2016, 06:29 AM
Have you tried coconut oil?