PDA

View Full Version : Polymyositis?

andyg11
12-02-2010, 06:18 PM
Several months ago I experienced severe shoulder/upper arm/ upper back pain along with fatigue, fever and a cough for about 5 days. My sed rate was 52. At that time my doctor thought it might be a bacterial infection, so he prescribed an antibiotic and 40 mg of prednisone for 10 days. I immediately felt relief after a couple of days and was practically pain-free. My symptoms returned about 6 weeks later. (This time I also experienced night sweats.) I was given more prednisone and was referred to a rheumatologist who thought I might have polymyositis. Because I was taking the prednisone when I visited the rheumatologist, no symptoms were presenting. She said if I had another flare up I would need a muscle biopsy. It's been 3 months and so far I've been fairly symptom-free. However, for the past two days I've begun to ache in my upper arms / back in the late afternoon and evening (along with being extremely fatigued). I seem to have an extreme intolerance for cold temps, and a hot bath is about the only thing that gives me relief. All tests for RA and Lupus have been negative, and I was told that it wasn't FM because my high levels of inflammation indicated otherwise. Any ideas or thoughts from anyone who has experienced these symptoms would be greatly appreciated!