PDA

View Full Version : Nervous about my issues, need advice?

fretz
03-07-2011, 07:04 PM
I've posted here a few times about my chronic issues. I'll try to give them to you guys in a compressed version, so as to not draw this post out.
I have a swollen liver and spleen
achy joints, mostly my right foot.
at times, a low grade fever.
some neurological issues, namely, seeing flashing lights, migraines and some tingling in hands and face.
Those are the most prominent, while not the only ones.
I've seen a few different doctors, and all of my bloodwork is coming out fine, aside from slightly elevated lymphocytes. I've really started to do my own research and I've gotten pretty alarmed by the possibility of having leukemia or lymphoma. I know that I can get myself worked up over things, and I have done it over these two possibilities, but then I started thinking about all the bloodwork I've had and I've had almost no bloodwork to rule any medical issues out, mostly just to see organ function. Where should I go from here? I just had a test for mono on wednesday that still isn't back, but I'm becoming very afraid. Should I bring this up with my doctor? I saw a hematologist a few months ago that said he wasn't concerned about cancer, but he never did any type of testing either. I have no cancer that runs in my family, but at the same time I know it doesn't have to for a person to have that disease. Where should I go from here? Should I bite the bullet and asked to be tested for them? Should I just stop worrying and wait until my next appointment (march 13th, gastro. doc)? I'm beyond nervous and afraid and I'm hoping to get some kind of advice.

sjb
03-08-2011, 07:21 AM
Hi the post name is correct there is too much fretting which does not help the health in my opinion. I would wait for the results of the mono test before asking for the other blood tests.

I would keep busy with things so there is less fretting. :D

feelbad
03-08-2011, 07:50 AM
just wondering if any of the docs you have seen has actually done at the very LEAST an ultrsound using doppler to actually SEE what that liver and the spleen simply 'look like' in you? while the US would actually 'look' at and kind of 'into' all the abdominal organs to check for any abnormalities, the doppler would see all the blood flow in real time too. sometimes when the portal vein in the liver is actually somewhat obstructed by 'something" that blood that cannot pass thru it anymore WILL back up into the liver and the spleen. you could concievably have well within the normal limits(but could be somewhat over the midrange norm) as far as labs too depending upon impact on other functions, or if 'some" blood was still able to get thru?

its just that our actual labs that DO show function losses pretty much, will NOT change until a certain level of actual real underlying damage going on in the organ reaches a very specific 'threshold level". THEN and only then will you see any actual impact upon the numbers. and also the one thing that just takes place in us when our portal veins get closed off too is our ammonia levels go up since the area of the portal vein just IS how our bodies rid ammonia from our blood, simply by passing thru that very large vein. ammonia IS the result from the protien we eat, its what it breaks down to and needs to be expelled from our bodies regularly. then what can happen is the ammonia stays in the blood stream and will also readily attach to our brain cells and can create some particular levels of neurological impact that WOULD be noticeable depending upon that ammonia level itself.

what other symptoms are you actually having here besides what you mentioned? i would most definitely ask your doc to at least get that needed ultrasound done on you, esp if no one has yet bothered to even LOOK at at least the liver and spleen being enlarged themselves?

it just really IS the very best, and also cheapest way to really see whats up within the liver and spleen would BE that one good "full abdominal' ultrasound being done. trust me here when i say that only running labs on any given organ only tell a smaller part of the story. you just seriously CAN have some ongoing impact in any organ and labs will not show it til that function IS finally affected enough to change. do you happen to be making certain to simply obtain every single copy of any and all labs or any other tests you also may have had done too? if not, you really DO need to start getting them for YOUR own personal medical files. you can also use older labs done on the same thing as 'comparritives" with your newer ones. this way too, YOU can read thru this stuff yourself anytime you want or need to. just keep all of this in one folder so its all in one place. but i would be curious to know if any of the hepatic labs are even just going over that 'midrange" level of the normal or right on midrange too? good luck with this and i do hope you doc will refer you for the US. its just needed to look on the inside of you and see what "possibly' may be creating the enlarged organs. please keep us posted, **

SnowBunny2020
03-08-2011, 08:06 AM
I have a belief that we bring about what we think about. My aunt was constantly obsessed with a fear that she would get cancer. Guess what? She got cancer.
If your hematologist said he wasn't concerned about cancer I don't understand why are you still worried about it?

JJ
03-08-2011, 08:54 AM
I would wait till your tests come back to see what they say. Hopefully your Dr. is one you can talk to and if so, I would have a talk with him/her and tell of your concerns and ask if tests were done to rule out certain things. I know if I ask my Dr. about my tests she always will answer any questions I do have.

While waiting, just try to think positive as like others says, worrying is only going to make things worse. Why worry about something unless the Dr. is worried?

Keep calm and also do update us with your test results...JJ...:wave:

sjb
03-08-2011, 09:45 AM
Hi all the worrying even if the doctor is worried would not help health anyway. So might as well try and enjoy every moment of life possible to enjoy. Find some flowers, trees, birds or observe the neighbors cat or dog and savor every moment given. :)

fretz
03-08-2011, 11:16 AM
Thanks for all the replies. I have had an abdominal ultrasound. It was done about 2 months ago. At that point they saw that my liver was no longer enlarged, but my spleen was. Going to stay positive, thanks!

sjb
03-08-2011, 12:56 PM
Hi surprise that means it is possible then for a bit of recovery for the liver to occur that is wonderful! :)

SnowBunny2020
03-08-2011, 02:18 PM
I had a doctor give me some great advice once when I was worried about getting better. He said if you are improving by any amount, regardless of how small the improvement is, then you're heading in the right direction.

fretz
03-08-2011, 02:24 PM
WELL, the issue is that they inflame intermittently. I can go weeks with feeling normal and then have months of inflammation. My spleen is almost always inflamed while my liver is inflamed maybe 40 percent of the time. As far as getting better, I'm not sure. I am going to try to stay positive, whatever the outcome I just hope it's treatable. I think that's all I'm really scared of is having something that is NOT treatable.

SnowBunny2020
03-08-2011, 03:06 PM
The fact that you have times when you are better, might suggest you are coming into contact with something or maybe eating something that is having an impact on your liver and spleen. ??????

JJ
03-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Just because you have elevated lymphocytes does not necessarily mean cancer, it also is a symptom of the body fighting off a viral infection. Seeing this year has been one of those years where everyone seems to be fighting off the same cold/flu over and over again could be your problem as well.

I just went to my Dr. yesterday for a BP check and change in meds., and not only her, but her staff has been fighting with it too. Like I told her, if I wasn't sick before I got here I might be tomorrow, as half the place was sneezing or coughing.

Stay calm, but do let us know what the results are.....JJ...:wave:

fretz
03-08-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks again for the replies:)
I've had elevated lymphocytes for a while now. At least since January, but possibly longer. I'm not going to worry myself to death over it. Last night after I typed this question I was lying in bed and really thinking about how I've been with all of this worrying for the past few months and it has made my life HELL. Every time I thought that I had something I went crazy and would get extremely upset and be sure I was on my deathbed. Anyways, I'm going to try and just relax with it all. Yes, there must be something wrong, but it's not worth worrying over every hour of every day. Regardless of what it is, big or small I'm going to try and take it day by day and live to the fullest extent. I would hate to waste this time in mine and my kids life worried about it all. It's funny because today I was really calm about it all; I didn't feel great, really achy joints and abdominal discomfort, but I didn't freak out and it really didn't bother me so much. Anyways, I'm not trying to write my whole epiphany out here, but thanks again. I'm sure I'll be back for more questions.

JJ
03-08-2011, 06:37 PM
I'm glad to see this post from you. I will admit I am one of the biggest worry warts in the world, and way too many times I have worried myself nuts...only to have everything go fine.

Focus on your children and what great things you do have in your life. Maybe coming here and chatting and asking questions has helped, so remember..WE are here for you. If you feel your having a bad day and need to ask questions..go ahead, that's what this place is all about.

Wishing all the best....JJ....:wave: